Rust

Oh no!

My car has gone rusty. After 11 years it was probably about time though...

I've looked at rust treatments which bring the area back to bare metal. So then I need to paint it. In Halfords the colour codes bear no relation to the code on the VIN plate!

The colour of the body itself

Here is the VIN plate. The colour here is "8 4"
And for info, here's a rusty bit I want to treat.
So, does anyone have any experience of this? What colour paint do I buy?

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
Krycek

A rusty Ford.

Now there's a surprise.

Reply to
SteveH

Bitumen Black!!

Reply to
Billy H

Be more suprising if it was a functioning 11 year old Fiat :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

it needs sand blasting to stand any chance of a reasonable time before bubbling through again.

Phone a ford dealer and ask them what the colour is.

B4 is a ford colour I believe.

Any good car shop (not halfords) will have a book with car paint codes.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Agreed. i asked my Rover dealer, before it disappeared, the colour of my car as I had exactly the same problem with Halfrauds.

Reply to
gazzafield

Take a look here squire,

Wince Ward

"Chris Whelan" wrote

Yes, and of course, Italian cars don't go rusty at all.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Krycek ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's going to need a bit more than paint.

It's going to need a fair chunk of cutting away of rotten s**te and welding in new metal.

Rear arches are structural.

Reply to
Adrian

They've been a lot less rust-prone than Fords since the late 80s.

Reply to
SteveH

"SteveH" wrote

Evidence?

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Alfas maybe. Fiats seem to be worse again than they've been since the early '80s.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've never seen a rusty 145/146 or 155, same with the 164 (although there were some iffy early ones, but later ones don't appear to rust), MkII Unos don't rust (but not many left 'cos they're not economical to fix if they go wrong these days), Tipos and Tempras didn't rust either.

However, I see rusty late shape Escorts, some rusty Mondeos (again, they tend to be scrapped early due to mechanical faults on the whole, though), Fiestas up to the Focus-a-like model rust quite rampantly, and the less said about the Ka, the better (3 years old and rot on the sills appears to be fairly common).

Reply to
SteveH

Can't say I've noticed - the Bravo/a and Marea don't appear to rot, Puntos are much less prone to it than similar aged Fiestas and you just can't compare the Sei and Cinq with the Ka, wich rots rampantly.

Reply to
SteveH

That's a spectacular pair of rose tinted, Fiat made specs you're wearing.

You're right about not being able to compare the Sei or Cinq to the Ka though. The Fiats are buzzy little ill handling shit boxes, the Ka is the best handling thing in its class.

Reply to
Pete M

That doesn't stop them rusting though :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

That's disgraceful from a manufacturer that's been in business for around a century.

Reply to
Billy H

Be surprised. My missus has an 14 year old (J Reg) Fiat Panda, Automatic, which is immaculate. All she has ever done for the last 8 years is wash it once a month. It is amazing to be honest the condition that it is in. Not a patch of rust or anything. And is used every few days.

Reply to
Matt