Dual Mass Flywheel

How would you know a dual mass flywheel is giving trouble and in likely need of replacement. Judder??

TIA

Reply to
Capt T

judder, vibration, noise, metal dust particles coming from the bell housing, what vehicle is it ? I ask because if its a mondeo the dual mass flywheel when its breaking up creates metal dust particles that knackers the starter motor up.

ive just changed a dual mass this morning on a Citroen, its replaced with a solid flywheel, making it cheaper.

Reply to
reg

Hi

I am looking at a Passat 130 tdi 03/04 and been warned about vast expense if the flywheel goes so is a question what do i look for on a roadtest and what sort of dosh to be replaced with same or old type ( if it will work in the newer car). What diff would you notice between dual mass and oridinary??

Tks for replying

.
Reply to
Capt T

we look after a couple of passat taxis, that have both had flywheels & clutches replaced off the top of my head i think about £500 for the whole job which included flywheel & clutch. i can get a better figure tommorrow & post back. The passats gave a vibration & noise from the gearbox,similiar sound to a rattling waterpump & vibration on drive, the vibration can be felt inside the vehicle as well, also the tell tale signs of metalic dust. if you find one see if you can stick it on a ramp to look underneath it whilst its running to see if you can hear any noise from the gearbox.

Reply to
reg

And also the CAS, though given that on a mondy you have to replace the CAS when you remove it (to facilliate removing the DMF) thats no bad thing.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for that..can you say at what mileage these replacements were made..perhaps I should go for an auto box do they have the same flywheels?? Tks

Reply to
Capt T

A What????

Tks

Reply to
Capt T

circa 100k, autos are a different kettle of fish they have torque convertors.

Reply to
reg

crank angle sensor. it tells engine the management system the postion/speed of the crankshaft.

Reply to
reg

I can see a time, and not too far off, when there will be no more cheap secondhand cars to be had! They'll all break down due to some massively complicated, and hideously expensive, piece of wondrousness going wrong, and have to be scrapped because nobody can afford to fix them.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Then enter the Indians and Chinese with their 5 grand family sized saloons.

Reply to
Ivan

You mean like my 9 year old 306 which died with suspected ECU failure (after spending £250 trying to fix the (suspect wrongly) indicated errors, and another £300 of work near-future required).

I was seriously considering a (used) diesel TDCi Focus a month or two ago - but after reading about a few DMF failures, with bills around the £800-£1100 mark for new DMF and clutch, I decided our mileage (11k miles per year in the 306) wasn't sufficient to offset the increased price of a TDCi and the additional premium for the fuel. Whilst the fuel consumption may have been better, the actual savings per week appeared quite slim. Add into that the (remote?) possibility of a DMF failure, and it wipes out any potential saving. Had we been doing 20k a year, it would have been an easier decision.

As it turns out, we're getting about 30mpg (majority) around town across a full tank. Others with a TDCi seem to be getting in the 40's around town. For some reason I was expecting a heavier 1.6 Focus to have similar mpg to a lighter 1.4 306 (average 36mpg over 9 months).

David Hearn

Or the parts are no longer available.

The good thing about my Capri is there'll still be parts available long after the current crop of models have long since gone unsupported.

Reply to
Conor

That is a characteristic of the 1.6 with its silly high gearing- they're only better on a A road or motorway 70mph cruise...

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Still, I can at least cruise along at 30mph in 5th with the 1.6 Focus. In the 1.4 306, it was late 30's before I could get into 5th.

David Hearn

David Hearn gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Umm, why would you want to?

Reply to
Adrian

OT I know, but whilst on the subject of the Ford focus what sort of f****it designed the rear seats in the M1 estate? Every time I want to put the rear seats down I have to get involved in a wrestling match attempting to remove the rear headrests, also if one forgets about the seatbelts they manage to position themselves very nicely across the seat lock, which attempts to slice them in half when the rear seats are pushed back into position, one of mine is already damaged to the extent where there were mutterings at the last MOT about replacement.

Reply to
Ivan

Mmm... they still have to comply with Eurobollocks though, requiring expensive blocks of anonymous, unfixable, plastic and 'lectronics all over them, without which they will fail an MOT or not even run, which for something as basic as an internal combustion engine, is dickyarse.

Five grand is still too much, for most, to be disposable, so unless the Indians and Chinese make the parts very cheap too (which they could, and should) we won't be any better off.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

"I found it unacceptable that technical progress should stop you making a good car for ?6,000." (He later revised this target to ?5,000). "I also drew up a list of specifications in three words - modern, reliable and affordable - and added that everything else was negotiable."

And that's a European manufacturer, therefore one would certainly think that on the basis of the incredibly low prices of many Chinese imports, that they wouldn't have any problem at all in manufacturing a sub £5000 'clone' of something like the Ford focus to sell on Tesco's forecourt.

Reply to
Ivan

That's the reason most cheap secondhand modern cars *are* cheap - if their massively complicated, and hideously expensive, pieces of wondrousness go wrong nobody can afford to fix them.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel