Grease gun question

Just bought one of these and a tub of grease. How the hell do I fill the bugger? Unscrewed the end and there seems to be no way past the spring/plate arrangement inside to get the grease in.

Antony

Reply to
antony.adshead

You normally unscrew the chamber from the trigger/nozzle, put the open end into a tub of grease, then pull a plunger-y thing out of the other end to sook the grease up into it.

That's how my dad's works anyway... Wonder if he's missed it yet

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

Well there are two possibilities here. One is that you need tubes of grease to put in it rather than bulk grease from a tin. The other is that you do need to fill from bulk. The way it's done on mine is that I have to pull a handle which is attached to the plunger inside by a chain, hook it to the rear, fill the gun, screw the business end back on and release the spring tension to provide the push for the grease. It's a bit on the old side now, and quite often needs bleeding from a little screw on the adaptor. I believe some have a rod instead of a chain, in which case you have to pull it all the way back, and there will be some way of hooking it in place.

How to tell which type you've got? well, if your plunger plate touches the sides like a piston, the fill with grease. If there's a gap between the pusher plate and the sides, then you need a tube of grease.

HTH Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The message from snipped-for-privacy@rbi.co.uk contains these words:

Unscrew the pointy end, place it over the plate-with-a-hole-in in the grease tub. Simultaneously pull the plunger on the grease-gun as you push it down into the tub. This will push/suck grease into the gnu. Then, struggle wildly to find how the plunger locks so you can screw the business end back on before you shoot a splott of grease across the workshop. This step is often best invesitgated /before/ filling the gun.

Screw the end back on, release the lock and pump away for ages to get all the air out with little popping, snapping, farting noises. You can add these vocally if the gun isn't playing ball if you like.

Reply to
Guy King

There's usually a T handle on the end of the reservoir which unclips by rotating half a turn. And it's attached to the plate with the spring behind. Place the end of the reservoir over the opening in the plate inside the grease tub, press down gently at the same time pulling out the T handle against the spring presuure. This should 'suck' grease into the reservoir. When the handle will move no more, latch the chain in the groove provided. Fit the reservoir. Unhitch the chain, and the spring provides the slight pressure needed to keep the gun part filled from the reservoir. Drop the chain back inside and replace the T handle.

Alternately, if you have a large tub of grease, pull the T handle as far as it will go and latch the chain. Then fill the reservoir using a spoon etc. The rest is the same.

There's usually a bleed valve which has to be opened to expel air after filling. When grease appears from it, close it.

I'm sure there are slight variations on this theme, but they should be easy enough to work out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Since all grease guns are empty when you need them most [I have five] then there seems little point in filling them.

Anyhow, others have mentioned the suck-it-in method, but there is also the cleaner cartridge grease method which, for the occasional greaser, is cleaner and more convenient. Cartridges can be used in the same guns as you fill by sucking as long as it is a full size gun.

Then you may find a little nipple with a ball bearing within is fitted by the side of the delivery tube. This is for filling from 12.5kg buckets fitted with a gun filling pump. This is most convenient of all if you use at least a pail of grease a year.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

** This will push/suck grease into the gnu.**

You' re sick man !!! Whats wrong with the standard issue sheep ???

Reply to
Taz

The message from "Taz" contains these words:

I'm 6'2". I prefer not to have to bend at the knees for however long it takes.

The alternative of stilts has never worked as I can't get fishnet pattern ones in sheeps sizes.

Reply to
Guy King

That's sad. When you find a good sheep it needs pampering.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)