Saab 9000 CSE what seems to be the problem?

It's a Saab 9000, so a remodelled Fiat Croma/Lancia Thema/Alfa164

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ah. I know one of the saabs is a cavalier under the bonnet, but I have never been even more than vaguely interested in saab, nor worked on one.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I'm interested in just how the solenoid 'earths' through the brushes.

Does that carry starter power too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The 9-3 is based on the cavalier

Reply to
Duncan Wood

one brush takes power in to the armature and the other connects to the casing, if they both make good contact through the armature then there is a route to earth. Which is why brush failure stops even the solenoid clicking. try it and see, I bet you have a spare starter or three laying around somewhere. If you take a look at a starter solenoid you will see that the little connection from the starter circuit is the start of the solenoid winding and where that winding comes out of the solenoid it goes straight to the 'big' connection that takes heavy power into the starter when the solenoid clicks in (therefore going through the brushes)

The multi pin connector (about thirty IIRC) carries most of the engine circuits, I don't know offhand if it has the solenoid connection in it or not. But it was a common fault on the vauxhall, but apparently the car in question is not the vauxhall clone.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The problem has only occurred once in the last two weeks. This time I stepped out of the car and rocked it a bit, then it started presto. Still worrying though.

Reply to
johannes