savnat speed accuracy

The fact is some makers *choose* to make their speedos read high. My SD1 Rover agrees with my satnav just about spot on. My BMW consistently 6 mph high at 70. Rover always chose to fit reasonably accurate speedos. Unlike some other BL products.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Best one for that is the 'motorway' link from the Shepherd's Bush roundabout up to the A40. There's a camera on the northbound carriageway about half way along. The speed limit is 50. 99% slow down to under 40. Worst are the outside lane hoggers who are going to turn left onto the A40 anyway - like the majority. It's one of the rare occasions where my car's horn and main beam get used in London. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

40mph for five seconds or so too annoying for you?
Reply to
Hooch

No - just prats that don't know their speed and or the speed limit. Many cars may have speedos that over read - but not by that much.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Question is, is the speed limit clearly marked? I have no gripe with cameras where the limit is clearly marked, but there are plenty of cameras which leave you wondering whether you are in a 30 or 40 zone and no signs in sight. Including one in Nottingham, where you turn off a

40mph road onto a road of similar size where the limit is 30, and the last time I looked, the only 30 sign before the first point-to-point camera is obscured by another sign. Not good if you're not local.
Reply to
asahartz

asahartz (asahartz ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You may like to look a little closer at the rules regarding repeater signs. It's always obvious - and if it's misleading, the limit isn't applicable or enforcable, with the default taking precedence.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes. Normal speed signs at the start of the road.

This isn't one. You've just left a normal built up area for a motorway standard road.

Nothing like that. It couldn't be any clearer. Besides, it happens at every camera in London - just about everyone slows down to well under the limit. Like as if they built up some credits for doing so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you think everyone should drive at the speed limit all the time, then?

Reply to
Hooch

Sigh. You think it ok to slow down to well under the speed limit on an empty 'motorway' while in the outside lane? Were you born a prat?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As usual, being a prat, you've missed the point. 'They' only slow down to under the speed limit for the speed camera. But of course I'd not expect you to know that the HC says to drive on the left if the road is clear unless overtaking. Especially when turning left shortly. So if driving at under the speed limit the left hand lane is the correct one if it is free.

The same argument applies to any road and any speed.

You definitely do need to read the HC...

Works for you, does it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We have a camera near us on a country road with a 60 (national) limit. I've been behind a number of people who've slammed their brakes on and dropped to 30 when they've seen the camera! Those that drop below the limit IMO don't do so because of a high reading speedo but because they don't know what the limit is or are too scared of cameras to go through at anything like the limit.

On the subject of high speedos, I've had my GPS in lots of cars and checked the speedo. Most are between spot on and 2% high. The worst was a 99 mondeo that was 10% high.

BobC

Reply to
BobC

Given that a road can have three or more different speed limits in the space of half a mile, that's understandable. Especially for someone who may already have six points on their licence.

Reply to
Hooch

Sounds like you speak from experience. Try getting off that phone and pay attention to the road.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There could be any number of reasons why someone might not see a speed limit sign - driving alongside a lorry, for instance. Take another look at your precious Highway Code and read what it says about the use of the horn and flashing of headlights.

Reply to
Hooch

So why where they driving at 45mph in the right hand lane if they thought it was a 30 zone?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Or long term substance abuse by your nickname and attitude. It dulls the senses. Sounds like you shouldn't be driving.

I'm surprised you remember what it is. It's obviously a very long time since you've read it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the retard known as Hooch actually tried reading earlier posts he'd know that they were doing a good 50 until they came to the speed camera.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps they though it was a 40 zone?

Reply to
Hooch

Anyone as impatient as you should let someone else drive while you can safely fume in the passenger seat. Or better still in the back seat where you can't reach the horn.

Which evades the question. What does your precious Highway Code say about the use of the horn, muppet? Have you read it yourself?

Reply to
Hooch