Scrap battery

What's a 70 amp.hr one worth as scrap? Have several and wonder if it's worth the bother trying to find a scrap dealer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

around 2 to 3 pounds each, every little helps!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks. Just wondered if it was worth the petrol to get to a scrappie. Not many close to here these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

£350 - £400/tonne, depending where you live. For just a few it may be better to catch one of the scrap car shifters and see what they'll give you.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I *thought* I got nearly a fiver a few weeks ago. Probably an 80.

Reply to
Newshound

They tell me that there is less demand for the lead from batteries now as the recycled material went into leaded petrol. When leaded petrol was no longer available battery scrap prices dropped to about 1/4 of there former value.

Reply to
Rob

says £450/kg. My old Lucas catalogue shows a 70Ah battery weighing

18-20kg, so £8-£9 each. Make sure you top them up fully before they weigh them.
Reply to
Kevin

Interesting point. So you're implying the scrap value of lead has remained constant over the 20 years or so since lead in petrol was banned?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Duncan Wood

After the leaded petrol not sure when that was. They dropped down about

1/4 of the previous value.

Another factor as, labour costs have increased, this is also factored in to break down of the battery to recover the lead. (Plus the extra acid content of a full battery :)

Reply to
Rob