SEAT IBIZA - no spark

After an engine stall it would not restart. I left it a while thinking it was flooded but later found there's no spark (also tried strobe light but not a glimmer).

Thinking there may be a glitch in the immobiliser I disconnected / reconnected the battery but that didn't work.

I've cleaned the rotor arm / hall sensor / distributor cap but still no joy. The battery has plenty of power, there's 12v supply to the coil, the earth is okay and the coil gets warm if the ignition is left on for a minute or so. The Haynes manual gives Prim / Sec resistance values but doesn't state which terminals to probe.

We had a problem over a year ago with the immobiliser not recognising the key chip, but resolved this by removing the plastic steering cowling. Even so, the engine would ALWAYS start, albeit for about a second.

Any suggestions?

Is it possible to 'hot wire' it so I can take it in for test / repair if necessary ?

(1996 / 1045cc / Engine code AAU / Bosch Mono-Motronic)

Remove NOJUNK to email

Regards,

Neil

Reply to
Neil Marsh

First check: Is the distributor still turning? Assuming it is then I have known the distrib to fail. I had to change one after a plug lead fell off, the engine ran rough momentarily (three cyls) then complete stop, my guess is that the spark went through the electronics and killed it.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Cambelt first!!! - i.e. is the rotor arm turning when you spin it on the starter?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Distributor turning (cam belt okay)

-- Remove NOJUNK to email

Regards,

message

electronics

Reply to
Neil Marsh

Cam belt is okay !

Any idea how the ignition is imobisled ? is it supply voltage to coil or some other way e.g. hall effect switch / injectors ?

-- Remove NOJUNK to email

Regards,

message

Reply to
Neil Marsh

The message from snipped-for-privacy@aol.comNoEmails (Dave Baker) contains these words:

Oh, one of them. I get emails from newgroup readers from time to time and assume it's ineptitude on their behalf being unable to sort the Post Reply button from the Email Reply button. Perhaps I'm being generous.

Reply to
Guy King

Sounds like the prob I just had with my 95 model. two mechanics could not figure it. turned to be the ignition coil needed replacing, common prob for that model apparently 30 quid off ebay and I was sorted

Reply to
nevared