Top Gear

Top Gear last night was less than complimentary about Renault's build quality. Do they have a point or was Jeremy Clarkson just being his usual opinionated self?

Reply to
Kevin Murray

Kevin Murray

A friend of mine bought a new Renault Scenic a couple of years ago that leaked water terribly and found out after a main dealer's so-called 'rubber seal adjustment' that they had welded the floor up where it hadn't been done at the factory!

Reply to
Steve B

Robin Davies

Out in Germany a few years back a mate bought a Renault. Had it a few weeks and then lifted the boot carpet. Chalked underneath in French was 'REJECT - EXPORT MARKET ONLY'.

He eventually got his money back.

Vin.

Reply to
Vin

Vin ( snipped-for-privacy@void.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So a French car sold in Germany had something chalked in English under the boot carpet?

You gotta love urban legends...

Reply to
Adrian

You gotta learn to read >>>>>>

Chalked underneath in French was 'REJECT - EXPORT MARKET ONLY'.

Chalked underneath in French - doh

Reply to
Vernon

Vernon (big snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.comp) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So surely it'd say in French "REJET - MARCHÉ D'EXPORTATION SEULEMENT"?

You gotta get a sense of humour.

Reply to
Adrian

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

Do the words 'chalked in French' mean anything to you? :)

Personally I wouldn't have been at all surprised to find, chalked in German, 'Take that, you filthy Hun'.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Statement of fact. Location: RAFG Bruggen, Stardate: 1971, Car: Renault 12

I, perhaps wrongly, assumed others grasp of French was as poor as my own. Hence I put what it meant rather than what was actually written. Whether you believe it or not bothers me not one jot (to be poetic).

Vin.

Reply to
Vin

Seems Adrian is too keen to make snide remarks to take the time to read the text of messages properly.

Vin

Reply to
Vin

they just don't make them very good :)

Reply to
dojj

read the above , the OP suggests that the english phrase is a translation from the original french, given that the majority of renaults are builr in france ...

Reply to
Martyn Hodson