Self-destructing starter motor

Hi,

The starter motor on my K-plate Renault Savanna lunched itself today. Wouldn't turn the engine (1.9 diesel), just lots of nasty graunching noises. Pulled it out, and the housing at the pinion end which supports the end of the shaft has sheared off.

So, before I go and get another one from the scrappy, is there anything else I need to check? Never seen one fail this way before. Fingers crossed it doesn't seem to have chewed up the ring gear too much.

Or is it just a case of "It's a Renault, they all do that Sir"?

:-)

Reply to
Rhydian

There is a dowel on one of the mounting holes on that Starter. Make sure it's fitted. Check the ringear for broken/missing teeth.

John

Reply to
John