series chassis repairs

Hi all

I need to do some chassis repairs to my Series 2 ( a little Christmas project!!), I want to get everything together before the break as everyone will be shut no doubt.

I need to get some steel to do the repairs, what thickness do you suggest for this? It is around the usual places front and rear of spring hangers.

Is it best to plate over the cut away rotten stuff and weld onto good metal, or drop a cut to size plate into the "hole" butt welded to the chassis?

Is any one way better than the other? and what is best to keep the dreaded mot man happy??

Cheers John

Reply to
John

Minimum 2.2mm thick.

Butt-weld only if you are very confident of your welding ability - lap welding is safer for a beginner or if you are a little lacking in confidence. Easier to produce a strong lap weld.

MOT - fully seam welded with no holes in any of the weld runs. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

And don't paint or underseal over it until he has passed it as OK. It just looks as if you're trying to hide something and, as an added bonus, if he

*does* find any more holes in it, you won't have to clean it off again.

Martin

Reply to
Oily