Short term breakdown cover

I usually get my breakdown cover with the RAC through Tesco Clubcard deals

. It's due at the end of this month, unfortunately I've blown all my Clubcard vouchers on other things and won't get any more for a couple of months or so. So ideally I could do with some cunning wheeze to get me by until then. Just basic roadside attention + recovery would do. (If it was just me I'd manage without for a couple of months and keep my fingers crossed, but the bloody wife says she won't go without cover - s'pose she's right). All the cheap breakdown deals I've looked at don't offer any refund on cancellation, most of them will let you cancel within 14 days but I don't really fancy having to take out and then cancel maybe four times just to get a couple of months free cover!

Any ideas?

Reply to
Vim Fuego

You pay for your clubcard vouchers through your purchases so it doesn't save you anything overall. Don't be so pikey and cough up. A basic package is only a few quid anyway and I'm sure they'll let you upgrade.

Reply to
Malc

Well I'd be shopping at Tesco anyway so I may as well gain on the vouchers. And I get double the points through Clubcard plus so in effect that's 8% cashback as Deals. And I use a Tesco credit card to get points on all my plastic spending elsewhere, which is worth 2% cashback as deals. So I don't agree.

B*ll*cks, I want to get the cover I want for 25% of the list price and save about a hundred quid, thanks very much.

How's that supposed to help?

Reply to
Vim Fuego

In this particular case it is actually a pretty good deal - the OP requires =A325.75 worth of vouchers yet it gets him a package worth =A3103, for free. If he's going to be shopping at Tesco's anyway then that to me is an offer worth persuing.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Duh?

Reply to
Malc

Mathew Newton wrote: .

For certain values of free. Given that you've have to pay for it with your shopping.

Reply to
Malc

Malc ( snipped-for-privacy@lightindigooverthere.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If you buy several grand's worth of shopping that you wouldn't otherwise do...

But if - like most of us - you happen to buy food etc anyway...

Reply to
Adrian

"Vim Fuego" wrote in news:4GcUg.56124$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

Eh? That would make the price of your cover £400! Who do you use? I cover both myself and the wife with the AA for either a roadside repair or a tow to any UK destination (assuming a quick local repair can't be arranged). It costs approx £90 PA.

Anyway, if you really must save your tokens, do without for now. The risk is not so bad because if you did break down you could call the AA and join up for a year - they would sent someone out to you straight away. I know someone who once did just that. Just make sure you carry your Tesco credit card when you go out in the car, in case of need ;-)

Reply to
Stu

Stu wrote in news:1159820822 snipped-for-privacy@sp6iad.superfeed.net:

Sorry, ignore the above. I'd read it as "25% OFF the list price". My bad.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

The AA used to do this, but would only give you basic Roadside cover. You needed to be a member for 24 hours before you would be covered for Home Start, Relay etc.

If the OP considers doing this I would advise him to check the T and C's carefully; I'm pretty sure that the AA's new owners will have stopped doing this now.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan wrote in news:NefUg.25525$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-win.ntli.net:

Ah, right. In this case that was all that was needed. He'd met someone at the M'way services and left his car behind for the day. When he returned to it he found that the hydraulic pump drivebelt (Citroen) had broken. Couldn't raise the suspension to move the car until someone came with a new belt.

Perhaps. The case I mentioned happened within the last five years. In any case, basic roadside cover alone isn't really sufficient for most people when it can cost in excess of £100 to be towed off a motorway!

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Yeah, but you're not paying a premium for clubcard vouchers; Tesco's one of the cheapest supermarkets in the UK currently, with Asda pushing at joint-first with them. He's not buying bananas, throwing them away, and getting points to get breakdown cover.

Sheesh, complicated or what. No.

Reply to
David R

Ask your insurers. My policies all include breakdown cover without making much difference to the cost.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Then you're probably paying too much for the insurance.

I get my breakdown service from Britannia through the CSMA and it's a very good deal. if you'[ve ever worked for a government body you can join and it gets you good deals on MoT etc too. The MoT savings alone pay for my breakdown insurance.

Reply to
adder1969

Nope. Shopping around could knock off 20 quid or so if I dispensed with the breakdown cover. But why would I want to do that?

Like I said, it's worth asking.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I used to be with Britannia for years but the Tesco Clubcard deal wipes the floor with it on cost.

You don't need to be with Britannia to get the MoT etc. deals by the way, just with CSMA, which is now free (unless you want to receive their truly awful magazine).

Reply to
Vim Fuego

I justed looked at the website and it seems the CSMA britannia thing has changed. I'm sure I paid only 50 quid or something for personal cover last year, plus the CSMA memebership of course. Seems now that the CSMA membership is free but the breakdown insurance has gone up.

Reply to
adder1969