mustang extended warrenty

My warranty on my 2001 gt runs out in a couple of months. I am wondering if it is advisable (worthwhile) to get ford's extended warranty? Any comments appreciated. Location Canada. Thanks

Reply to
ray

How often have you used your warranty? How much is it going to cost you to get the extended warranty? Are you going to save money by getting the extended warranty (ie: you used the warranty a lot in the past)? Answer your own question after you've answered those.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

HI Ray, When I bought my Cobra, I bought the Ford Premium waranty that was a two or three year extention of the factory warranty. What I found out was this:

If a major mechanical component that ends with the part number 'zzz*()tyl746' goes bad before the mileage and time limitations of the contract expire and on a Wednesday that falls on an even number of the month but only during a new moon while the car is parked next to a cat with a crook in it's tail and one lop ear during weather that is nothing more or less than 78.9462 degrees and the color of your clothing is pink with purple polkadots.... then it's covered. If ALL of these conditions do not apply, then you are not covered.

Essentially what I am trying to say, unless you truly suspect that something like th motor or tranny will blow, don't waste your money. There is so much fine print in those things and every time something went wrong with my car, they said it wasn't covered. IE: The warranty states that listed parts of the security system are covered. I start having trouble with my car. Every time I would walk fifteen feet from her she would start to cry out like a little kid "Don't leave me!!!" the alarm sounded and I sometimes could not get it to turn off.

I take her in to Ford, have them run a diagnostic and they discover that it's a $165 sensor in the deck lid that is bad. Then they tell me it isn't covered. In shock I whip out my little bi-fold pamphlet that serves as a warranty booklet and say "Well, LOOK! Right HERE! It is so too covered!" and the fella in the service department pulls our HIS warranty booklet, a 3" thick "List of covered parts" we scroll through many of the pages and surely enough, the part number is not on any of his pages. Every other single part in the security system was covered, just not THAT one.

So, I paid him the money for diagnosing it, and told him to unplug the sensor. Then I call Ford warranty and argue with them for a while. You may as well beat your head against the wall because that is how far you are going to get with these warranty people. Finally I lost it and ask this guy why I paid all that money for a warranty if it didn't ever cover anything I had wrong with my car and the guy says "Well, if you have never used it, you can ask for a refund"

It was set to expire in about a month, and I had never used it. I guess you know, I got the refund. I won't waste my money on another extended auto warranty.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Did you get a full refund of the purchase price or was it pro rated?

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

That sounds typical.Its the same with stuff you buy at Best Buy or whatever.A sodding DVD player for $60,and the stupid warranty costs as much as the player,but when it goes wrong,you're not covered,so you may as well just chuck the damn thing out the window and buy a new one !!! Most warranties aint worth the paper they are written on

Andrew

[...]

yeah, and if you can't afford to replace a $60 part you should not be buying the original part anyways !

Rein

Sorry, I missed the responses. I got a full refund.

Reply to
SVTKate