Dog owners check your (AA) breakdown cover for exclusions

Hello. I wanted to share with a recent experience I had when my car broke down as I wish to prevent others from being placed in vulnerable and distressing circumstances:

AA terms and conditions - transportation of animals

I found out to my cost that AA breakdown policy includes a paragraph that says " the AA is not under any obligation to transport or to arrange the transport of any animal ......."

Not made aware of it at time of purchase the AA rely on it's customers wading through a tome to familiarise self with full terms and conditions. Never been a problem with other insurers so lesson learnt

- buyer beware!

I broke down on a country road at around 6 pm with my collie dog in car. A patrolman arrived within about half an hour and informed me the car would need to be towed home as a bolt on the clutch peddle had snapped. He called the AA control centre and arranged a tow truck and specifically told them I had a dog with me. I remember it distinctly because he is a dog owner and described my dog to the operator during the call.

The patrolman moved the car to a safer location in a layby and left the scene. I then received a call from the control centre advising me the pick up could take 2 hours and sure enough it did. However, the tow truck operator they sent refused to carry my dog in the cab insisting it stayed in my vehicle on the tow truck (2.5 hour journey freezing cold night collie dog!). I said I was not happy but as I was stuck asked if I could travel in the car on the tow truck with the dog to keep her calm. I was told this was not possible as it was against health and safety regulations. I considered it inhuman to transport my dog in that way as it would have caused her great distress and I therefore refused. I then called the AA control centre and at first they said there was nothing they could do and that unless I agreed to leave the dog in the car they would not make alternative arrangements.

In the end I made a series of calls to the control centre staff literally begging them to reconsider and to make alternative arrangements. At 10 pm they agreed to find another tow truck which arrived at 11.50 pm. Tony the driver from Bride Valley Motors in Dorchester was great and I eventually reached home at 2.30 am. The car windows were covered in frost and the temperature was minus 2/3 degrees so just imagine the physical and mental stress a collie dog would have been in at the end of such a journey?

I waited around 6 hours in total before I was towed home during which time I became frantic with worry particularly since my mobile phone battery was weaking and consider that I was put through un necessary stress and anxiety.

In trying to establish the exact reasons for the restriction I was told a variety of things including some people are alergic to pet hair, some dogs misbehave, etc but nothing concrete. I appreciate there are dogs that misbehave and yes some people are allergic to pet hair but just as there are no perfect children the majority are fine. It is after all an "emergency" service.

I raised a complaint with AA and today received a letter followed by a phone call basically informing me I should have advised them I had a dog when I took out the policy. I replied that they should have asked me at the point of purchase as it is a material piece of information required to ensure the product is fit for purpose. In short the person I spoke to reiterated that they would not be taking the complaint any further and referred to terms and conditions. I negotiated a partial refund which I am told could take up to 5 days and am now covered by RAC.

I was not offered any apology for the distress, delays and inconvenience caused. I was placed in a vulnerable position and had I persisted with calls to their control centre I would have been left stranded.

For reference I called the Press Office at The Dogs Trust to enquire if transportation on tow truck considered humane and I was told that it was not a course of action they would support.

I understand the AA TV advertisement may feature a family with a dog hopping happily into a tow truck!

Reply to
Georgie girl

very unfortunate. But your dog would have probably been far less stressed by a prompt return home in a cold but familiar car than the long cold delay it suffered because of your unfounded worries. A collie is a breed that would be fine in those sort of temperatures, it is a working breed and used to outdoor temperatures. A shitzu or similar lapdog would be far more vulnerable to the cold, but would still be OK in my opinion.

Mrcheerful (owner of two retrievers)

Reply to
MrCheerful

It's a collie FFS. Hill farmers have them and many sleep outside (the dogs not the farmers!) I have seen them curled up, covered in snow, just the tip of their nose showing, and quite content, even though there was a barn a few yards away. The dog knows the car, after a few minutes he would probably have curled up and gone to sleep. Bill

Reply to
co10

Unfortunately so many people when they post here loose all their decent human emotion (but find a large vocab of swearwords)

Glad everything worked out in the end

Reply to
noggin
[...]

From the RAC's Terms and Conditions:

General Terms:

. . .

  1. If there are any domestic animals in your vehicle, their onward transportation is at our discretion... _________________________________________

Bear in mind also that most recovery is carried out by contractors. If you were unfortunate enough to suffer a breakdown needing recovery again in the same area, the same contractor who attended you in the first instance could be the one who was sent via RAC!

The reason why a recovery driver would be unwilling to allow a pet in the cab is likely to be from bad previous experiences. Pets in unfamiliar surroundings are likely to be sick, or to defecate. Would you like to clean that up in what would be your daily working environment?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

OK, so he's with you by 6.30

Allowing half an hour for him to inspect things, that call would have been at about 7pm, with the recovery due at about 9pm

ETA home about 11.30pm, then.

So you kept the pooch out on a cold night for three hours longer than was necessary because you didn't want it to spend two and a half hours somewhere considerably warmer than the average kennel.

And it's a collie, too - a tough outdoors breed, used to working outdoors all year round, including in snow covered fields.

I really feel for the poor recovery driver. Still, I expect he'll be dining out on the story for years.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

So their T&C's clearly say they're under no obligation to transport an animal. Under the distance selling regulations, you're entitled to cancel your cover within 7 working days. They should have provided the paperwork in that time, and as with any service, you're best to check all T&C's of a service to ensure you actually get what you expect. Failure to read your contract is your problem rather than The AA.

Considering the wide range of animals (hamsters to elephants), the range of their nature (passive/agressive/licky/growly/poopy) it doesn't seem unreasonable to state that.

If a truck driver, towing a vehicle (or carrying) a long distance has to also carry a dog and that driver is not used to carrying animals loose in the cab, they understandably, may not feel happy or safe.

If the dog is a.) used to being in the vehicle on their own and b.) used to traveling in the vehicle then combining the two without you being present isn't necessarily an unsafe or unfair thing. Maybe not ideal - but might be the best solution in a difficult situation.

David Hearn

It's a pity you can't tell the difference between lose and loose. Still you obviously know f*ck all about the temperature range that collies normally work in so who cares.

Reply to
malc

Rule probably a product of bitter expirence.

Is one really permitted to carry a loose animal in the cab of a recovery truck?

Just to echo the comments of others my grandparents kept 3 collies on a farm, not once in many years of visiting can I recall them coming into the house, despite being in a somewhat desolate place on the Yorkshire dales.

Kind Regards

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Quite right too - think of the next passengers having to travel in a cab stinking of dog. And covered in dog hairs.

It's a dog. And a collie. They live outside in real life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I tend to agree but I think the OP has a valid grievance to some extent in that when the call was put through it was made clear that a dog would need to be tranported too. That clearly wasn't taken into account when the tow trucker was called out.

Soem collies could be old and or frail or generally nervous for whatever reason so I could see how the OP might not have wanted to travel with the dog in the car.

Reply to
adder1969

malc wrote something he thinks is clever but only prooved my point :-)

CALM DOWN DEAR

Reply to
noggin

and more than once I've had to suffer puking babies and nasty smells emanating from a place that a fair few talk out of .....

Reply to
noggin

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Georgie girl" saying something like:

If you'd taken up the first offer of putting the mutt in the towed vehicle, you'd have been home long before it got that cold.

For all you know the driver of the first recovery vehicle may have a severe allergy to dogs or might simply have had enough of cleaning out his cab after a dog's shed in it.

I don't know who's dafter, you or the dog.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ah, a top posting wanker who can't spell or punctuate.

Reply to
malc

And the dog, although considered an intelligent breed would be able to tell the difference between the car been propelled under its own steam or on the back of a flat bed how?

Its an outdoor breed for goodness sake.

They are used on farms and kept in kennels outside in all weathers FFS.

I may contact the dog protection leauge or whatever and ask their opinion on a dog been kept outside in the cold for 3 or more hours when it could of been home a lot sooner if you hadnt of been so selfish.

Dogs, also carry germs in their pooh etc. Some people (maybe future passengers in the truck) are allergic to dogs and can take ill from contact.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

as I'm daft (I must be to ask your opinion) where is de spulling rong? Your F and W words are magnifycently speled (wash your mouth out Steve)

Surely its common sense, some h*mo sapiens can live with anbient temp. of 50 Centigrade without any issues, others die from heatstroke at 40C Same with cold weather, If the animal concerned is not used to it .....

Otherwise why have heating in your home, I asssume you're a grown up and can afford an 'ouse

Reply to
noggin

And that makes Dogs different from humans in which particular way?

Reply to
noggin

Prooved should be proved, loose should be lose etc. No capital letters, commas and full stops. Do try and grow up.

Reply to
malc

If your normal habits are the same as a dog's, seek treatment.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)