Silly question time

Car needs petrol and has a locking petrol cap, only, stupid as I am, I've lost the bleedin' key :o(

How do I get the darn thing off? Don't know if there are different types but photos here if they'll help:

TIA,

John

Reply to
John

"John" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Think like a theiving scrote. Big screwdriver and brute force.

Alternatively, ring the dealer - they'll probably have the key number on their computer system...

Reply to
Adrian

Depends whether you want to use the cap again for long. If so, call the dealer, they'll probably be able to get the key number.

If not, large screwdriver straight down the key slot, might need a bit of force. Twist it and the cap should come off

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Thanks Adrian and Mike. The car is eight years old and I've only had it about two months, bought it privately, so I don't know if it's a factory-fitted thing or an aftermarket thing. I'll try the dealer tomorrow but I've a feeling it'll turn into a big screwdriver jobby.

Reply to
John

Cars only ever have non-locking caps if the actual filler flap is locked with the central locking / you have to pull a lever from inside the car to open it. In your case, that'll be a factory fit item, which looks very similar to the ones VW have been fitting for 20 years. Big screwdriver will do it.

Reply to
Doki