Skidding with ABS on wet road? possible....?

Wrong, completely wrong - in all the accident scenes I have been to with a wide number of cars with and without ABS. Learn how ABS works, it doesn't stand for "brakes will never lock and leave black lines".

Reply to
kcr

No it's not.

One?

No one said it does, if you have that big a problem with comprehension you ned to go back to school. Note the use of the word "competent" above.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Just go out on a dry road and stand on the brake pedal at 50mph. If nobody does that sort of thing very often, you might not manage to get the ABS to trigger; try it a few more times. If you can't get it to skid or vibrate your foot, something is wrong.

OTOH if you do brake hard often enough to keep the hardware working and know when it kicks in, you can get a skid.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

If it is not skidding nor juddering, you are not trying hard enough.

If one (especially rear) wheel is badly set up, you can provoke the ABS fairly easily without getting anywhere near 1g deceleration.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Also, tell her to *use* the brakes in normal driving. If you only ever pootle about and take a mile to stop, they glaze over.

My missus isn't slow but only ever does small trips round town. Every so often I'll use her car for a longer trip instead of mine and enjoy myself. Every single time she comments on how much it seems to want to 'go' after I've had it, and even more on how quickly it stops...

Reply to
PCPaul

I think you're full of shit actually. You're right in your first statement that they stop then release, but they don't "lock" the wheels. You're assumption that the brakes/tyres/shock absorbers are faulty doesn't include the simple fact - it looks like the driver simply braked too late and didn't have enough time to stop.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

"Mike P" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes, they do. It's a locked brake causing a sudden change in rotation speed relative to the other wheels that triggers the ABS to release the brakes.

Whilst Occam's Razor firmly applies here, bear in mind that in another post the OP said that the brakes aren't good enough to lock the wheels in the dry. Again, Occam's Razor is probably applicable, but...

Oh, and the PP _did_ say "Either she didn't brake" and "I think she might be telling porkies"...

Reply to
Adrian

e quoted text -

Sorry I should remember that this group doubles as alt.self-righteous.

Reply to
paulfoel

paulfoel gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

"My wife was involved in an accident yesterday which was her fault. Unfortunately, she has sustained some slight injuries (brusing/ whiplash etc).

I know theres a bit of a thing with claiming personal injuries etc these days but this is genuine. Can she claim even though its her own policy etc? Or is this unadvisable?

All I've heard of in the past is claiming for this sort of thing when something else is to blame (like when someone rear ends your car)...."

Reply to
Adrian

I'd say ABS "stops the wheel momentarily" rather than locks it for a length of time IYSWIM. Saying that though, my old company car, a Rover 418 Turbo diesel had ABS, and I could get the tyres to smoke on that under hard braking .

I obviously haven't driven the OP's car, but I suspect he's not trying hard enough. In my last T16, running on fat 205 tyres in the dry it was near impossible to get the ABS to kick in. I did it, but I had to put all of my

16 stone on the pedal going down a steep hill at speed.

She also skidded too, which if she aint telling porkies, means she braked in my book.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

"Mike P" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Who said anything about any "length of time"? And what _is_ the difference between "stops the wheel" and "locks it"?

Reply to
Adrian

It is much faster than cadence braking, though. One of the benefits of cadence braking was to get the car rocking and increase the down force on the front tyres at the same time as the brakes were gripping.

I have often wondered, though, can you cadence brake with ABS?

Reply to
Howard Neil

Howard Neil gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Indeed. Many processes are quicker when automated than performed manually.

I can't believe you'd get more weight transfer to the front through cadence braking than just by plain braking hard. Far more likely is that the weight transfer would be on the front for LESS time, as it'd take a moment to come forward when you first apply the brakes each time. The destabilisation of the car is also likely to be a significant drawback.

Of course. You just don't let it get quite to the point at which the ABS kicks in.

Reply to
Adrian

I merely pointed it out, I made no judgement or opinion.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Strange, I've managed to briefly trigger ABS in my Focus on 2 occasions in the few months I've had it.

One was at lights when they changed whilst I was mid-gear change (so no engine braking, so more pressure on pedal) whilst wearing footwear I don't normally wear (so different feel to the pedals). Road is 40mph, was probably close to it and braked harder than I might normally intend or do.

The other was whilst normal braking coming up to a junction but I think a small pot-hole caused it to trigger whilst it was braking.

Both times were very very brief, significantly less than a second.

David Hearn

AFAIK the wheels should never lock. ABS should brake the wheels to the point of skidding, and then release them before that actually happens. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

"Mike G" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

How does it "know" when that's _about_ to happen...?

Reply to
Adrian

It monitors the signal coming from the sensor on the wheels.

I don't know precisely what algorithm they use, but they're likely to be able to detect the point where the wheel starts slipping (i.e. turning more slowly than the car is moving), but hasn't yet locked (i.e. stopped turning entirely).

So, being pedantic, the wheels should never *lock* (unless the car is going at a very low speed). But they will still slip/skid and produce a black line on the road.

Reply to
David Taylor

What's the point? If you can judge the limit that well, just brake to the limit. If you aren't locking the wheels there's no need for ABS, is there?

Reply to
David Taylor

David Taylor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Well, quite.

Reply to
Adrian