Skidding with ABS on wet road? possible....?

Zathras gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Sounds like complete bollocks to me. Probably more likely that something had shot forward in a rear footwell and clonked the pretensioner connector a good 'un.

Reply to
Adrian

That only holds good if all 4 wheels have the same level of grip. ABS should be better, rheoretically, if say the n/s wheels have less grip than the o/s wheels, as it will brake less on wheels with less grip. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

In principle you should have something like 30% slippage to get maximum braking effect, i.e. the braked wheel should be rotating about 30% slower than if it were unbraked. In practice it is much simpler to modulate brake pressure on-off than have a fairly complicated analogue control system. I rather suspect that there is quite a difference between different ABS systems, but it's quite difficult to deconvolve it from the other factors such as suspension design, body pitch etc...

Reply to
Albert T Cone

If you didn't have very good damping, and you could cadence brake at about the right frequency, you could make the car resonate, and the peak grip could indeed be quite a bit higher than the peak just due to weight transfer, however it would also spend an almost equal amount of time with LESS peak grip, so it's not clear that it would give you any advantage on average, as you say.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

It's somewhat less than this. Between 10% and 15% slippage are figures derived from tyre slip angle tests.

Reply to
Dave Baker

On tarmac.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I stand corrected. And as Duncan correctly pointed out, the optimum slippage will be very much dependent on the type of road surface.

Reply to
Albert T Cone