Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI

Anyone have experience with a car fitted with the above engine?

Reason I ask is, I am very close to purchasing my first car* and it appears that the Skoda Fabia 1.4TDI is the cheapest car to insure; even cheaper than the slower SDI variant. I have compared it to many different cars and always it comes out the cheapest in terms of insurance, even cheaper than 1.3 Corsas/Puntos etc. However, I don't want the money I save on insurance to go on expensive repairs!

My estimated mileage is approximately 18,000 a year hence why I would like a diesel, plus the fact that I have driven a petrol before but much preferred the diesel.

*I have had my license for just under a year now so insurance is now affordable, plus I have driven a company pool car for nearly a year which has made a difference to the price.

Posted this on uk.d-i-y but was advised to post it here as well :)

Reply to
gremlin_95

I have experience of that engine in a Polo, and I owned a Fabia a few years ago.

The engine is a cracker, generally. Capable of respectable MPG driven hardish, and very good MPG if you use a bit of restraint. No major problems I'm aware of.

Similarly, the Fabia is a good, well-built car generally. Only real weak spot is front suspension bushes IIRC, but that's not too expensive. Just do all the usual used car checks. Both Mk1 & Mk2 are similar mechanically. Parts prices are reasonable from the likes of GSF & ECP, and there's plenty of good indepndents for servicing/repairs.

Have a look at briskoda.net too. Friendly forum with lots of knowledge.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Thanks for your reply, I have posted on the Briskoda forum also:

gremlin_95

Repairs? A SKODA??? LOLK

Reply to
The Revd