Speaking of leaks

I have my very own valve cover leak. And, not to sound off, but I never have leaky valve covers. Here's how I did it.

I have a set of covers that used to be nice, shiny black, a great glossy finish. But they got all scraped up by the bales over time. So I had be a bright idea. How about some rollers on the bales to protect the paint? Hmmm.

So I got a foot of neoprene hose. I think it was something like 33 cents.

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-450F.JPG ... cut a couple 1/4" lengths and slipped them onto the bale, so:

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-451F.JPG .. and now the bale slide onto the valve cover without dragging on the paint.

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-452F.JPG Cool, huh?

Well, I was a little concerned with the neoprene's ability to handle the heat. So at the next valve check (Sunday) I put a couple of these rollers on the beater 1600 in my winter baja. I also put in fresh gaskets on both sides (it was time).

Tonight I'm out working on the new engine and while I'm waiting for some paint to dry, I check up on my rollers.

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-462F.JPG Dang. The only thing I can think of is that the added thickness of the neoprene has increased the tension on the bales and is perhaps deforming either the gasket of the valve cover. Not what I expected. The 1/2 side got the same treatment and is dry. I have removed the rollers from the 3/4 side and will see how it does tomorrow.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

With rollers, it leaks.

No rollers, dry.

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-467F.JPG Facinating.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

It baffles science. Betcha the additional force provided by the rollers warps the covers. Time for a clinical trial.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Without the oil, those are beautiful clean heaters............could eat off 'em Max.....................Nice.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Thanks. Got those at the Fineline Bug-in swaps a few years ago.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton