coolant smell but no leaks (was Removing Dash)

howdy folks...

i smell coolant when i use the heater but i can't find any leaks. everything under the hood looks fine. the coolant level has not dropped. i haven't found any wetness in the carpet. i've replaced the radiator cap. all this, and i can still smell coolant. what should i be looking for? like Ken, i really don't want to pull the dash (BTW, what was the problem and solution you mentioned?). Cliff's method of pulling the heater core out under the steering column may not work for me since i can't contort myself quite that much. any suggestions? i'm also posting this on miata.net. apologies for the duplication.

thanks.... dave

97 black & tan remove the obvious from my address to reply by email

-- If You Think Education Is Expensive, Try Ignorance...

Reply to
Dave Hansen

Dave,

If the coolant level has not changed and nothing is damp, I would suggest you not get too excited yet. If you are looking at the coolant level at the radiator cap, it can be misleading. Is the coolant level in your overflow tank dropping? Any green puddles under the car?

The first experience I had with this was the failure of the original radiator. It was leaking around the top of the radiator (I think it is called the expansion tank). Since there is a ridge of sorts there, the coolant tends to collect and is visible. Since it's hot in this area, the coolant tends to evaporate, yielding the smell.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

ken... coolant overflow tank has remained at the same level, no puddles under the car, and the temperature gauge is in it's normal position. i guess i'll take it in for a system pressure test. thanks for your help. dave

97 black & tan remove the obvious from my address to reply by email

snip

Reply to
Dave Hansen