Slow tyre leak

I have a slow leak on an MR2 rear tyre, caused by corrosion of the wheel where it seals with the tyre. All 4 tyres were replaced recently, (issue was there with the old tyre too), and the fitter cleaned up the wheel and used plenty of sealant stuff, but the leak is still there. I'm aware the ideal solution it to refurb the wheel - but then I'll need to do them all so they match!

What is the opinion on the sealant gloop in a can for puncture repair - is it worth a go in this situation? Any particular brand better than others?

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Deane
[...]

It's not something I would consider, other than as an emergency 'get you home' cure.

Is a second hand wheel a possibility?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

if it is just a bead leak then get the tyre off, clean the bead area (which will get lumps of corrosion off), paint it (which will fill minor hollows) and refit the tyre using bead sealant (black glub a bit like evo stik). I have successfully done this on quite a few ancient alloys with the same problem. The best thing I found for the clean up is a 'powerfile', but simple wet and dry will be just as effective but slower.

If it is a porous wheel, then the problem and solution are very different and less reliable.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Get it refurbed, but ask the refurbisher just to do the inside of the rim (ie the part that you can only see when the tyre is off) that has the fault. I've had this done in the past and it cost about £30. Didn't touch the visible part of the wheel, so no matching problems.

Reply to
Mike P

Thanks, good suggestion, I didn't think of this approach!

Reply to
Alan Deane

Mr. C, I'll try this... issue is getting the tyre off and keeping the car on the road. Will ask local tyre place if they can help out - or do the whole operation!

Reply to
Alan Deane

Don't you have a spare wheel?

Reply to
rp

Only a nasty space-saver :(

Reply to
Alan Deane

Can you still get inner tubes?

Reply to
Rob

You can, but for several reasons it is not recommended to use them in tyres designed and marked as tubeless tyres.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

better than a slow leak!

Reply to
Rob

not actually, no. A slow bead leak (or even most punctures) from a tubeless tyre will be just that, it will slowly go down, and if the period is manageable, say a couple of weeks between being inflated and getting a bit too soft, and the driver is aware and tops it up often enough, the tyre can live out its natural life and not represent any real danger.

But, if you put a tube in, it will stay up until either it wears itself out (which is why you shouldn't use them in tubeless tyres) or even the most minor penetration of the tyre by even a thorn will lead to its very rapid deflation, which may lead to instant loss of control, especially at high speed.

Tubeless tyres often get punctures that are never discovered simply because the hole is self sealed by the puncturing object, which cannot happen with a tube.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Indeed.

I just replaced all 4 tyres on the Berlingo. Two of them had nails in, 2" long, straight through the carcass. No idea how long they'd been there.

If they were tubed, they'd have popped and I'd have had an interesting few seconds.

Reply to
Mike P

The situation is to get the rim restored and insure it will not leak.

I run tubeless tyres with tubes without any problem I do carry a spare I can't make the rims not use a tube - impractical - My wheels are wire wheels.

Reply to
Rob

Ignore the old women on here - just pop in a can of gloop and the only thing that will happen is the tyrefitter will moan at you when the tyre eventually needs changing.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

tyre puncture sealants are intended for emergency use, some corrode alloy wheels. If the OP decides to go for a sealant then it should be one of the types that are meant to stay indefinitely, such as 'slime' or OKO. Sealants can give balance problems leading to shake. Any decent tyre place should be able to fix the fault without resorting to 'in tyre' sealant.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

Remind me never to buy a car from you... ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Mate of mine rather a tightwad .. had a tyre that had a nail..

Slow loss of air ensured. He took the nail out put in a same sized screw and something like rubber tyre repair glue. Let it go off and ran that wheel for another year before the thread was below the limit....

I'll give U his reg number if you want to avoid;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

I did that once as a temporary fix on a Toyota Prius, the tyres were some odd new size and needed to be ordered. The tyre stayed up just fine, no measurable loss of pressure over several days.

Reply to
Mrcheerful