Bad odour - carpet replacement options?

I recently picked up a '98 Cherokee Sport (2-door). The previous owner had a dog, and there's a that distinct "wet dog" odour that we all know and love.

I haven't tried cleaning it yet, but my experience with this in the past has been that the odour is basically impossible to remove. I just hope that the source of the smell isn't present in the headliner or seats...

I was planning on replacing the carpet and possibly the underlay, in the rear cargo area, and on the back of the rear seat. Does anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarket carpet kit that fits as well as the factory carpet? Do these typically come with carpet for the rear surface of the seat?

Even better would be something like a carpet, but is rubber/vinyl - easier to clean.

I could always just strip out all the carpet and paint some bedliner on it, but the noise reduction properties of the carpet and underlay is pretty important.

Are there any other options that might be worth looking into?

Reply to
Rob W

We had a big hairy mutt and found a product called 'Febreze' works wonders on the odors.

Mike

Rob W wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

pull the carpet then leave it out,

Reply to
herman

Reply to
Will Honea

Our vet turned us on to a product you can get in pet stores called "Nature's Miracle". It's got bacteria or something in it that gets rid of ALL animal smell and stains-even piss in the Jeep carpet. Works great and is about $10 a quart.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Reply to
Jim85CJ

I've gotten 2 "new" cherokees in the last 2 months. The first was a 89, second is a 96. Here's what I did. First remove the seats, four bolts each and clean them good while they're out. Then remove the center console, slightly time consuming. Then remove the plastic door sills then the carpet. It has a stiff backing and will hold it's shape. I then layed them out on my driveway and scrubbed them with arm and hammer washing soda. It's very strong, use a brush and lots of hot wash water. Then I pressure washed them and rinsed out all the dirt and grime. They took a day in the sun to dry. While it's out, clean and examine your floor, look for the beginnings of rust and treat them accordingly. The 89 had holes on the drivers side and the 96 had the beginnings. I used a roof patch on the holes. I've pressure washed many vw's carpet this way and you'll be supprised how clean they come. You can also use this method on the seats but they take up to a week to dry. (sit on a towel) If you tinker with cars and other stuff now maybe the time to look into a pressure washer. Also you can rent them at home centers.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I agree, it didn't do a damn thing on a bathroom carpet the cat 'got to'. But for that matter neither did Febreze from the spray bottle. The Febreze laundry additive did help /some/ but not enough.

I'd pull the rugs, scrub the hell out of them and throroughly clean the floor and padding underneath them.

-Bill

Reply to
wkearney99

You need to literaly soak the carpet with lysol. It's not the carpet, it's the padding under neath. If you happen to have access to a hypodermic needle it's best to inject the padding with lysol every square foot. Then let it dry and you'll be fine. Nick

Reply to
Nick N

I actually had pretty good luck with it, on camel colored Jeep carpet. I agree about the Febreze though, has its own nasty scent that's worse in some ways than what you're trying to clean up!

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Have you tried Lava Dust sold at Ace Hardware stores. I had some foul odors in the cargo area of my 82 Wag that this stuff eventually eliminated.

Of course i have since eliminated the 82 Wag! lol later, dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1