SMOKE from Alternater - Car sat for 5 weeks - Battery Flat - Problem ??????

All,

Just got back from holiday and Battery totally flat. The car is a Vauxhall Carlton Diplomat (J plate 2.0i Auto). It was left standing for

5 weeks, and I came this morning to start and all dead (Lights, Central locking etc...)

I then come to connect a spare battery to it and some smoke appears from the alternator ? I had a new alternator (re-con rectifier I think was fitted) some 14 months ago.

Car was perfectly sound when I left it. I was going to disconnect the alternator lead and try again to see if I can turn the engine over (and consequenty the alternator via fan belt). I don't quite know if this will help or what can fail on an alternator if left for 5 weeks.

Any ideas as to what is the problem is and what may have caused it ????

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Smith

Sounds like a dodgy diode or diodes in the rectifier pack. Pity it's out of warranty. You didn't connect the extra battery round the wrong way now did you? That would make the alternator 'smoke'. I've got a spare alternator from a J-plate 2.0GLi round here (Wiltshire) somewhere if you are really stuck. cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

Sounds rather like you connected the battery the wrong way round. Was there a large spark when you connected it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

It was not me (Honest !)

It's my Fathers car and I did ask that question to him - No was the answer and he is normally very caution and there was not any big sparks.

If he did however connect the battery the wrong way around, what damage could it have done ??

Reply to
Andy Smith

Toasted all the semiconductors in the rectifier and regulator (and possibly damaged the alternator windings) at the very least. You may be unlucky enough to have fried the engine & ABS ECUs also. I've had several carltons over the years and one I bought cheap had this very thing happen to it. I knew about the wrong battery polarity when I gave him £50 for the car, but I also keep several spare ECUs in my shed too, which was handy! As I said earlier, if you need spares, let me (or 'Astravanman' of this parish) know. cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

Thanks for the help and advice JB.

I may take you up on the offer of spares.

I'll see what the Old Man says when he gets back to me.

Thanks again, and perhaps speak to you again soon !

Andy.

(That should teach him to go on holiday for 5 weeks !!)

Reply to
Andy Smith

Trouble is many cars don't use the old red and black these days, so it's all too easy to get them wrong. And if the battery was totally flat it might not draw much current even if connected the wrong way.

The alternator would be favourite. I'd hope most else of the electronics would be protected against wrong polarity since all it needs is a penny diode, but I'm a bit of an optimist. If the ignition wasn't switched on, hopefully the ECU etc will be ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Just heared from the old man - Car is running OK after he swapped batteries. Lucky escape.

He is going to get alternator checked out (as was casuing some electrica gremlins when it died some 14 months ago - High volts casuing auto gearbox to occasional enter the "Limp Home Mode") just in case but next time he is in your Parish I think he wishes to purchase a few spare bits for the Carlton !!.

I'll give you ( or 'Astravanman' ) a shout as and when.

Thanks again.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Smith

That all sounds like a really good argument for replacing it, looking at it's just more effort.

Reply to
Duncan Wood