More BMW servicing prices rip-offs

Cost of an E39 oil filter in the US from a dealer if you have a BMW-CCA card:- about $9 - UK 6.22 gbp, so about the same.

BMW synthetic oil. US $3.25 a quart. UK 11.70 a litre. So about 6 times the price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

you obviously havent seen the exchange rate recently!!

6.22gbp is approx $11.20!!
Reply to
Sly

True, but allowing a margin for the discount offered by CCA membership, it's not *quite* so bad.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

£5.70/litre at Costco - so only 3 times the US. I bought mine last week ready for the upcoming Inspection I.
Reply to
Grant Mason

Which make and grade was this? The BMW stuff is Castrol, and I've not seen it locally.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I think we did this conversation before :)

Last time the car had an oil service, I was given a 1 litre bottle of Mobil

  1. I asked if that is what they used as I'd read that it should be Castrol. His exact words were "the M5 uses Castrol, the rest use Mobil 1". He also showed me the 50 gallon drum of Mobil 1 in the corner of the workshop.

So, I've bought 9 litres of 0W-40 Mobil 1 for £52.

Reply to
Grant Mason