Citroen Berlingo engine problem

Hi, Last weekend I was driving nr Newquay when the temperature warning light came on. As I pulled over the car stalled and would not start again. The RAC towed me to a garage who told me they would investigate. The next day they called back and told me the radiator had blown and the engine had overheated and siezed. The quote for the repairs is: £1200 for a recon engine £80 for new radiator £564 for labour + hoses/misc coming to £2200 - 2500 inc VAT. Does this sound reasonable? Its an S reg and was serviced in January.

The problem is that I live in London so if I want to get it done elsewhere there'll be quite a towing fee but I'll pay it if the work could be done more cheaply elsewhere. Any advice much appreciated, thanks in advance, Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

You'd have to advise more on the detail / model of the van i.e. what engine / petrol or diesel ? Most Citroens/Peugeots share a great deal of commonality on engines etc. The radiaor will probably be bespoke the the Berlingo, but why not ask a local garage to fit a 2nd hand engine from a scrapyard. I wouldn't part with £2.5K on a 5 year old van. I'm sure a breaker might fit a replacement engine in for less than £1k.

I'm personally interested in finding out how quickly this happened. Does your van have a temp guage ? didn't you notice any steam coming out of the bonnet ?

IJ

.

Reply to
Ian Jarvis

Reply to
Charlie

Charlie wrote: Snips.

I'm surprised it didnt completely seize if you ran it for that long over-temperature.

Steam and burnt oil fumes I should think.I had an over-heated car 2 months ago, and that went past the red, then just erupted in smoke/steam.Luckily just need a head gasket/skim. You must have either seized it or partially seized it, making rebuilding of the engine uneconomic.

Thats true.Unless you have a known good engine to put in, then you could be wasting a day fitting a faulty engine. Take the hit.Scrap it, or get a reconditioned engine put in.

Alan.

Reply to
A Lee

happened to me the other week same engine 1.9 d when the engine overheats the engine will just die until the temperature comes back to within operating temp parameters so this could lead to some other problem for that sort of money I would look at getting a second hand lump or just replacing the van altogether

(with mine it was the cap on the expansion tank that had failed)

Reply to
dojj