Cheap Fuel Line?

It seems I need around 3 or 4 foot of 1/4" fuel line to repair the very shagged one currently fitted. The local A1 place does rubber and metal for around 4 quid a metre, which I find just a bit stupidly expensive, but I wondered if this was the going rate nowadays?

Otherwise, anyone any ideas where to look for a better price? I'm somewhat limited in how far I can drive right now, any journey has to be a float's worth, or I have to use the emergency tank which comprises of a pop bottle under the bonnet!

Also, is a mk2 Fiesta line likely to be the right size? I know where there's a complete length I could chop to suit, but I'd rather not have any blue oval stuff near my British car :)

Reply to
Stuffed

Right size for what particular British car are we talking about? Surely 4 or

5 quid has got to be good value compared with the hassle you're having now? Failing that a bit of reinforced pvc tube might work (Plumb Centre?)but I'd rather have stuff I know is ok for petrol. Why don't you ring around? A decent spares shop or a small local garage will sell you something ok.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

68 Triumph 1300, so I really want to avoid ovalness if only because of my principles ;)

And the trouble is, it's not just 4 quid, to do it properly means replacing the whole length, which means 12 to 16 quid. Not that I'd mind if that was a sensible price, but I've just spoke to someone who picked up a 5m roll of copper pipe for less than a fiver at an autojumble today. I'm heading there myself with any luck later this week, so I'd be most miffed at spending a tenner more for the sake of a couple of days.

And around here, there's Halfords, the A1 place, and a trade counter. I'm not sure the trade counter can do hose by length, and I really don't want the hassle of the spotty oik in Halfords needing to know the colour of the car before telling me they don't have any 1/4" stuff.

I think I'll try and make do with what I've got till I go to the autojumble, and if I don't find anything there, bite the bullet and get it from the A1 place up the road. Tomorrow morning I'll see if I can nick the breather/ overflow hose off my Mini and use that in place of the corroded section for a day.

And yes, you might have guessed, I don't like spending money :)

Reply to
Stuffed

Is it just regular 1/4" round rubber fuel pipe you need? Most motor factors have this off the reel. ...or is it metal pipe you want? In which case the 4 quid isn't so bad.

Reply to
adder

Either will do, I can use rubber for the last few feet, or just do it properly and replace the entire metal section. Both are around 4 quid a metre, I just thought that was somewhat more than I used to pay when I messed around with cars more than I do now. I'll hold out and see what I can get at the autojumble tomorrow, otherwise it looks like being the local place after all :(

Still, at least if someone else reckons 4 quid's not so bad, it means the A1 factors aren't as much of a rip off as I thought :)

Reply to
Stuffed

Ended up getting about 4 yards of copper 1/4" at the Dorset Steam Fair for £2.40 a yard in the end. Much closer to the price I wanted to pay, although apparently someone up there had steel line, which was even cheaper. My old line did 36 years, so it's not like saving a few pennies and using steel again would have been a false economy, but it's done now anyway.

And the car was running far too rich after fitting the new line, so it must have been sucking air in for quite some time, and the PO had just kept richening it to compensate.

Reply to
Stuffed