Paging VAGisti - Update to update - Audi A2 1.4 TDI 75

Right, I posted a while back about father's Audi A2 1.4 TDI 75. I got a lot of pretty useful info here, retrieval of ECU error codes:

(link to google groups original posting)

Anyway, thought some of you might like to know how it all went down. The car went to the garage after changing the N75 valve didn't do anything. The bloke cleaned up parts of the VNT system to no avail.

It went back to the garage, the bloke had it all this week and seems to have uncovered the problem:

The intercooler, she broken. There are cracks where the side tanks meet the aluminium element and a rubber seal poking out. Boost pressure escaping seems to have been tripping the ECU into limp home mode at times of sustained high boost.

Not what we expected, and not a particularly cheap part, but hopefully thats the end of the saga. Thanks to anyone who chipped in, and especially Mr Sherunckle who read the codes with his cable and copy of VAG-COM.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I don't know the cost of a replacement, but from the pic it looks like a repair would be possible. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Payne senior must have been caning its nads off to effect such splendid results.

Please be sure to pass on my congratulations.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I was actually thinking that myself. Some gaffer tape and big jubilee clips, then eBay.

It has been replaced with a genuine part which is of a slightly different design apparently.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

There's a new one on eBay now, about £63 delivered with buy it now.

Homer

Heh, to be fair, this is the first thing thats gone wrong in nearly 7 years and about 100k miles of merciless caning, apart from the rear brakes not liking being sat for a few weeks at a time.

Will do. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

That's very interesting. never heard of it before. Do you think the intercooler is a weak point, or could it be overboosting?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Hmm, dunno.

They changed the design of the intercooler in 2002 seemingly, that could be a sign that this one was a bit weak? It's also possible the intercooler's taken a knock.

If the ECU detects an overboost, it'll go into limp home mode won't it?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yup.

JB

Reply to
JB

Awesome - old Mr P obviously drives it rather spiritedly :D

Reply to
Iridium

The american answer would be "JBWeld". It is the answer to everything, like "cable ties and gaffer tape" is here.

Seriously though, could it be brazed and would brazing be strong enough to hold the boost if it just uses crimped and rubber sealed end caps anyway.

A lot of the saab guys would use metal strapping tape to reinforce their plastic capped intercoolers on later 900s. They tended to leak when boost doubled over factory.

Reply to
Elder