89 Vanagon GL pre-purchase help needed

greetings, I've come across a couple for what seems to be good prices and I THINK I'm about to make my decision, found a 89 with 106k that the owner had said he had "overhauled", I like the utility of it but I'm confused. There are not enough of them for sale near by to get a handle on the overall power of the 2.1l engine. I drove one last night and I was amazed at how far I had to press the accelerator to get going fast enough to merge with street traffic in my lifetime. When I floored it, it just seemed to spool up, no hurries, no feeling of torque at all. It almost seemed like it bogged ever so slightly at first; like a tiny bit of hesitation before it started to build speed. I went up a moderate hill and in order to hold speed or better it had to be near floored. Is this what I should expect? I know this can't be answered totally, but in general, should I expect to have to floor it to merge into 35mph traffic? Does anyone have a list of what should be done during and "overhaul"? Your comments are appreciated! This one will be gone by the weekend...

Reply to
Judd Austin

Just overhauled and he wants to sell it! Still might have problems. Over all for 90hp they ran pretty well.

Reply to
Woodchuck

If you're going to drive a Vanagon you should get used to that low power level. Automatic transmissions are by far a lot worse....

Damian

Reply to
Damian Shaw