Speed Converter

I took my Ford Focus to mainland Europe this summer and had a job reading the KPH markings on ths speedo as they are red on black. Is it possible to buy a plastic card or similar to show speeds in MPH and KPH and is easy to read?

Reply to
Alasdair

Write these approximations down on a post-it note:

50km/h = 30mph 60km/h = 40mph 80km/h = 50mph 100km/h = 60mph 110km/h = 70mph 120km/h = 75mph 130km/h = 80mph

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

I agree with John...been a regular to France/Denmark etc and used post

-its or self adhesive label placed near speedo...always worked. aland.

Reply to
aland.

Thus spake John Kenyon ( snipped-for-privacy@gmx.net) unto the assembled multitudes:

Not a good idea when you are supposed to be concentrating on the road.

Years ago when I had a LHD Fiesta with a Kph speedo, I just bought a sheet of small numbered stickers and stuck the 'important' ones on the speedo at the appropriate places (after having calculated the conversions), i.e. 30,

40, 50, 60 and 70mph.
Reply to
A.Clews

Alasdair ( snipped-for-privacy@bobaxter.coo.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If you can't remember 'em (and they're really very easy), then just write 'em on a post-it note, as others have suggested.

20mph = 35kph 30 = 50 40 = 65 50 = 80 60 = 100 70 = 115 80 = 130
Reply to
Adrian

Just multiply the kilometres by 6 and knock off the noughts. 100 km = 60 miles

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Alasdair saying something like:

Make your own overlay - if it's only for occasional use it won't matter too much if it's not particularly pro looking. Just copy the kph markings from your own dial.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Do it in your head. I do KPH to MPH conversions all day long in the lorry because the tacho is in KPH.

Reply to
Conor

Write them down on a post-it note BEFORE you start driving - fuckwitt

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

ROFL!

Reply to
DervMan

What kind of a no-brain response is this? Unless you don't refer to any part of the dashboard whilst driving of course.

Reply to
DervMan

Thus spake John Kenyon ( snipped-for-privacy@gmx.net) unto the assembled multitudes:

No no no, I meant don't stick the post-it note on your dashboard so you have to keep glancing down to work out what speed you're doing.

Reply to
A.Clews

Oh I'm glad you pointed that out. Perhaps he should stick it in the middle of his windscreen instead?

I somehow doubt the original poster will be glancing down at his ready reckoner every time he sees a "50 Rappel" sign in the middle of a French village.

Reply to
John Kenyon

It's a while since I've seen a car that didn't have a dual scale on the speedo - the less obvious one is marked in km/h in the UK.

You can read straight across from mph to kph at *any* speed. Or just use the middle scale if you're in Foreignania.

Reply to
PC Paul

If you read the OP, the problem is the the kph markings are red on black, and thus very difficult to see.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Because no one else has a speedo on their dashboard?

Reply to
David Taylor

How many times do you need to look at what 30,40,50kph are in mph to have a pretty good idea anyway?

Reply to
PC Paul

*I'm* not the OP!

I know what he means about the Focus however. The kph markings are virtually invisible. I have found it a problem in Europe. To mentally convert each time you check your speed is possible, but a nuisance nontheless.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

For some people. My head appears to work in numbers so for me it's not a problem :) however, road signs, that's something else...

Reply to
DervMan

Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Cobblers.

I seem to manage fine with driving vehicles with KPH only speedos here in the UK - as do truck drivers, who are (as we all know) renowned for all being stupid...

Reply to
Adrian