Speed of trucks on the motorway these days

You do seem to have a problem with believing unlikely things don't you?

Reply to
Malc

It's a little bit far fetched to say an ex driving instructor can't drive properly. It is entirely possible to have a truck so close that the headlights are obscured. Just because you don't believe it doesn't make it a lie.

Reply to
Malc

Oh for god's sake Conor, grow up and read what you're posting.

Reply to
Malc

The message from Conor contains these words:

This may sound strange to you - but I check over my shoulder as I was taught and as I taught others. This, of course, is in addition to the mirrors.

Reply to
Guy King

Huh? Are you actually answering the above post?

Reply to
Conor

It's not at all. Alot of working driving instructors drive abysmally inbetween lessons. Also just because they're a car driving instructor doesn't mean they are any good on a motorway or have actually ever been on a motorway - motorway training currently not a requirement for a driving licence.

Also I've seen ex HGV driving instructors that couldn't hit a loading bay in an artic because they've done so little actual HGV driving over the years they've been teaching.

Reply to
Conor

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, it's not dangerous - I've never said it is - what it IS is inconsiderate, pointless and a serious problem to traffic flow.

Let me just put the bit back in you snipped -

"Dangerous" is also the wagon that decided he wanted to pull into L2 on the M25 about an hour ago, without indicating.

Small drawback - that meant that the car IN L2 just pulling alongside his trailer had to pull into my path in L3. And, before you try to claim otherwise, it was a RHD UK-plate tractor.

Reply to
Adrian

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Unlike, of course, *EVERY* HGV driver, who are universally perfect.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, I find the concept of the police doing anything after a report by one person slightly odd. After all they don't convict our local drug dealers after eversomany reports.

Reply to
Malc

Well I *know* they would ignore it. When a WVM nearly killed my wife and several other drivers by his stupid blind overtaking and cutting up, we phoned the Police with the reg., the company, description of the driver etc. Not interested. "If a Police Officer had seen it that would be different but it's just your word against his" was the reply.

I rang the Transport Manager of the company (national building firm) who

*was* interested and rang back a few days later as well to say the driver had been ticked off and given a written warning - i.e. do it again and no job.

If your company name is in foot high letters on the side of the van, don't be a total nutter!

Reply to
PC Paul

They're not however HGVs are the safest group in all Govt statistics no matter how you look at it.

Reply to
Conor

Ah. I've always encouraged people to report such driving. Around here, even though Humberside Plod are in the bottom 3 of the UK, they do take action on it.

Reply to
Conor

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Could have fooled me, the way you either defend or deny even the stupidest of tricks some of 'em pull.

Reply to
Adrian

No, I just counter the FUD posted on here.

Reply to
Conor

That they are statistically safer for their occupants says nothing about their actual accident rates or the effect of those accidents on other road users. Govt statistics merely show that fewer HGV drivers are _injured_ than car drivers, which is hardly surprising given the effect of bashing one against the other.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Bwaahahahahaha

Reply to
Adrian

Statistics about driving are usually ridiculous. My daughter is always spouting at me that insurance Cos say that women are less likely to have accidents etc, and she uses this to claim that women are better drivers, which is obviously not the case. If that were true, 4 year old kids, who make no claims at all, must be even better drivers than women, but she won't see this.

I've also tried to make her understand that unlike her, the vast majority of women drive to school, to Tesco etc and never get out of the 30mph limit, and do very little mileage. If the statistics covered the amount of mileage done and the type of driving was taken into account, a very different picture would emerge, but of course insurance Cos are only interested in the likelihood of a claim being made, so all they take into account is factors which affect that likelihood.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

As opposed to frustrated fuckwits on Usenet posting stupid things as they lose the argument?

Reply to
David Taylor

It is entirely possible that car drivers see many more bad lorry drivers than you. They probably also see more good lorry drivers than you.

If you drive all day, ever day, at 56mph down a motorway, you'll pass very few trucks, since you're going to be travelling within 1mph of many of them.

Car drivers, covering less milage, but at 70mph will pass more trucks, since there's a 14mph difference, and at 80mph a 24mph difference...

Reply to
David Taylor

Quite easily the most aware in yet another "My Dad's better than your Dad" post.

krystnors

Reply to
krystnors