Speed of trucks on the motorway these days

The message from Conor contains these words:

You might think it's funny, but I don't. Perhaps this is why you're unable to see the behaviour others see - you don't see it as a problem so you're blind to it.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Well, of COURSE it's not a problem. Nothing truck drivers do can possibly be a problem, because they're the saviours of mankind. Duh.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Steve Walker contains these words:

Wonder how fast they're going.

Reply to
Guy King

According to people in this group, that's been irrelevent in the past.

Oh so it's not dangerous when a car does what she did but when a lorry does it, it is?

Reply to
Conor

Well if you only ever see 6ft infront of your cab for 3-400 miles each day, it's easy to believe every little thing.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Answer this - what was the point in what he was doing?

No, Conor, it's NOT dangerous when a car sits with a couple of hundred yards of clear road in front of them.

Yes, Conor, it IS dangerous when a truck sits a foot off the bumper of a car in heavy traffic flashing his lights to intimidate the driver.

Reply to
Adrian

Well I wouldn't go that far, but to suggest that a truck can be so close to a car that he can't see the headlights is a bit ludicrous.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I was commenting on your inability to notice two 55W headlamps in your rearview mirror.

Reply to
Conor

So it's not dangerous when a lorry overtakes another one for several miles with a couple of hundred yards clear road in front of them either. Thanks for that.

Reply to
Conor

I saw a transit flatbed the other day that was. Screamed up behind a bloke doing a reasonable 65 on a dual carriageway to literally a foot away while practically standuing on it's nose. Then proceeded to swerve around, always very close, while the three shaven headed yobs in the cab laughed their heads off.

The truck was white with a painted out name on the side, and the number plate very thickly smeared with black crud. I was close enough at the side to get the number anyway, but since they turned off without causing any damage to anybody, I was torn what to do with it.

Didn't hear of any crashes, so I chucked it in the end. Given the Police response to a very near miss bya different WVM a while ago, I didn't bother telling them.

Reply to
PC Paul

Nobody ever said it was *dangerous*. It *is*

inconsiderate selfish unhelpful irritating infuriating stupid pointless ...

Reply to
PC Paul

The message from "shazzbat" contains these words:

Why? It's happend to me before - that was why I mentioned it.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Conor contains these words:

They were outside the edges of the rear screen, and because I have my seat a long way back and rather high up they weren't visible in the top edges of the door mirrors either. I asked my son to get the number of the truck but it was too close to see, being below the boot lid.

Reply to
Guy King

I'll rephrase. Given the width of a car, and the width of the headlamps on a truck, to suggest that a trucks headlights can not be visible to the motorist in his door mirrors is completely laughable, unless you have a very strange car. Try to remember that those of us who drive trucks also drive cars, we see both sides of the equation.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The message from "shazzbat" contains these words:

It wasn't the width, it was the height mostly.

Reply to
Guy King

Conor, Im not saying there is an increase at all, but you have to admit it does happen. HGV drivers aint telepathic nor have they got a photographic memory so they dont know that there will be a start of an incline round the next bend etc do they? And by other peoples posts it seems that no limiter will limit one HGV to exactly the same speed as the next so having a situation where 1 HGV takes a wee while to pass another does happen regularily but not neccassarily any more or less than it used to.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Oh yes they have. Many many many times, usually using the argument that frustrated fuckwits in cars behind do stupid things.

Reply to
Conor

Phone the Police, always. They DO take notice and at the least will "have a word" with the company concerned.

Reply to
Conor

So in other words, you can't actually drive properly on a motorway. I wonder how many sideswipe near misses you've had changing into the lane to your right.

Reply to
Conor

ROFL...now I know you're talking absolute rubbish. A lorry is over

1.5ft wider than a car. It is absolutely impossible not to notice them if, as you claim, you use your door mirrors.
Reply to
Conor