Speed of trucks on the motorway these days

Glasgow Gear...

Reply to
Conor

Indeed. Usually older ones. Thing is, they stick out like a sore thumb.

Reply to
Conor

I've also noticed a few new ones doing well over a satnav indicated 60 and using lane 3 on the M1 (not in roadworks) to overtake other HGVs surprisingly they have been RHD and UK registered.

Reply to
Depresion

Depresion (blank@128.0.0.1) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Are they 7.5tonners?

Reply to
Adrian

Not unless them make artics out of carbon fibre.

Reply to
Depresion

The message from Conor contains these words:

They also tailgate if you're in L1 with a safe distance between you and the lorry in front - sometimes so close you can't see the driver or even the numberplate in the mirror. If you don't believe me Conor, come take a ride with me on the M6 through B'ham - you'll see trucks (and cars) within 20' of the vehicle in front at 56mph everywhere you look.

Reply to
Guy King

Apart from a couple of Eastern Bloc ones, I've not seen any in L3.

Reply to
Conor

They were travelling together (well part of the same company which I'm not going to name)

Reply to
Depresion

Why? Could you not be telling the truth?

Tell you what I do find hard is that even though I do shitloads of mileage on motorways every week, it is extremely rare that I see it. Surely statistically, I stand far more chance of seeing it than you.

Reply to
Conor

You have such a blinkered view. You refuse to see what doesn't fit your preconceptions.

Reply to
Depresion

It does happen but not the flashing lights if he's got nowhere to go infront of him.

Reply to
Conor

You can't do 56MPH on the M6 through Birmingham except before 6am, after 8pm and around 11am-2pm. At that time though, the traffic is so light, they can't tailgate anything other than other lorries.

Reply to
Conor

Just telling you what I (rarely) see and as I can also see more than you, and aren't an anti HGV loonie, who has the more blinkered view? Come out for a week. Show me where the masses of lorries driving 6ft apart at 56MPH are and in the outside lane of a 3 lane motorway are. Show me where they're all doing 10 minute overtakes. You'll have 3-400 miles a day of opportunity to do so.

You can't cos it's bullshit.

Reply to
Conor

What you chose to believe is up to you but it doesn't change the facts that all of these things happen on a regular basis and you are the only one who claims never to see it. Maybe an eye test is in order for you.

Reply to
Depresion

M5/M6 - my territory.

Great fun in the thick fog on the M5 southbound from Frankley to J4 tonight - let speed drop to 50, 40mph in response to overhead warning signs and poor forward visibility (a challenge on that mile long downhill without using the brakes), kept in N/S lane, lit up like a Christmas tree, less than100 yards visibility, (could not see 2nd marker post at J4 from the 1st one!), high risk of tailback of traffic all down the slip road from the island at the top - and you'll never guess what happened ...

Weeeeellll - perhaps you might

When we have poor weather conditions (fog, ice, snow torrential rain, standing water on motorway surface/and in the wear grooves in the road), this behaviour is guaranteed to happen, every time.

Reply to
R. Murphy

I CHOOSE to believe what I see during the HUNDREDS of miles PER DAY I do.

Reply to
Conor

I'd guess that because of the relative speeds you'll see less lorries than an average car driver does on a given journey. So I'm not at all surprised that you don't see the incidents which people complain about.

Who wants to do the sums to work out who sees more given that your extra mileage will compensate for this to an extent?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

ROFLMAO. Most stupid comment I've heard today. Congratulations on opening mouth before thinking.

Yes but as I travel several times the mileage of an average car driver per day and probably do more motorway miles in a week than alot of people do in a year..

How do you work that out with me potentially doing the average annual mileage of a car driver who doesn't do too much motorway mileage in 6 weeks with most of it on motorways?

Reply to
Conor

The message from "R. Murphy" contains these words:

I came back from Manc to Telford a couple of weekends ago in fog and after about a hour and a half of the thick stuff doing 40mphish I realised that though a few cars and trucks had passed me they'd all done so slowly. Not a single Volvo driver with X-ray vision whizzing along at their customary 80. Amazing!

Reply to
Guy King

For various reasons, I only worked 3 days in November. In those three days I racked up over 1200 miles, approx 1000 of which were motorway/ major DC route such as A1.

How many miles did you do in November and how many days did it take?

Reply to
Conor