Speed of trucks on the motorway these days

Be patient my young Padawan and you too may become a Master one day.

Reply to
Conor

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Thanks, but I'll pass. Your kind offer of expert tuition is noted, however.

Reply to
Adrian

Yep

Nope

Cheers

Reply to
Krycek

You're welcome. No offense intended but I got my HGV2 with the Army 15 years ago and did the convoy training back then. I live 12 miles away from Leconfield so am forced to be subjected to the training they get now and it looks like nothing has changed. Not your fault I know but the army's convoy methods are so flawed it's not funny.

Reply to
Conor

I feel for you, there's no way I'd live near there. at 8 am and 3 ish pm, especially!

Flawed, how though? I've never driven in convoy since I did the training....

Reply to
Krycek

Junctions mainly. As you remember, the truck in front of you slows down to maintain visual contact if you are going slower and you slow down to maintain visual contact with the one behind.

So...

Truck 1 gets to T junction. Pulls out. Truck 2 gets to T junction and can't pull out immediately because of traffic. Truck 1 slows. Traffic starts to build up behind truck 1. Truck 2 eventually gets out but Truck 3 now can't. Truck 2 slows down, truck 1 slows down, traffic builds up even more. Repeat ad infinitum to the last vehicle who may get out of the T junction sometime next week.

Reply to
Conor

Fair one, but I don't see how it could otherwise be done. You can't avoid junctions, can you? 10+ trucks driving down back lanes would soon have soap dodging hippies moaning!

Reply to
Krycek

Everyone knows where they're going or should do. There's no need for the truck ahead to wait at that point - they could continue on the journey until a suitable waiting point was found.

Reply to
Conor

From a security POV though, it might be preferable to have the trucks in visual range of each other. And in the Bedford and DAF trucks I've driven, the rear view is poor to say the least, meaning the bunching up and accordion effect is a necessary evil....

Reply to
Krycek

Th rear view is no different to any other HGV.

Reply to
Conor