Volvo V70 noise

Our 2001 Volvo V70 has just started making a whining/clattering sort of noise with the ignition on but not with the engine on. it seems to be coming from the front nearside area of the engine compartment, in front of the fuse box area by an air assembly of some sort. It is some sort of motor I guess.

All the things are off inside - eg aircon, which i thought it might be something to do with.

Any ideas?

Thx

E.

Reply to
eastender

Which engine?

This could either be the secondary air injection pump or the electronic throttle module.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Tim, it's a 2.4 petrol engine.

E.

Reply to
eastender

Update - just started it again and it first sounded like an angry hornet before settling down to a steady whine, with ignition on, with or without engine on.

E.

Reply to
eastender

Is that the model with the 5-speed "Geartronic" automatic with "Auto-Stick" function? If it is, then the noise could be from its electromechanical motor, which drives the gear stick ( now absent, of a more conventional car) and is normally activated before engine ignition.

Reply to
Lin Chung