SRS warning light on Honda Civic

I needed to remove the driver's seat from my Honda Civic (2001, coupe), which meant disconnecting the SRS and seat belt sensor connectors.

On refitting the seat, and reconnecting, the sensors, the SRS light stays on.

I've check the plugs, tried disconnecting the battery, but the light stays on.

Ideas anyone?

My thoughts are that some sort of 'reset' is needed. I assume this is a dealer job. Any ideas on price?

TIA & Regards

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

You can pay a dealer to do it, but it'll probably be about £25 for 10 seconds work. You can do it yourself with a paperclip, or with an "SCS Service Connector". Unfortunately, Honda UK wouldn't sell me one of these connectors, so I used a couple of test leads to do the process.

The process is described here:

short link:
The SCS Service Connector just shorts the two contacts on the MES Connector near the fuse box. I found that plugging my two test leads into the MES Connector and making/breaking the connection at the other end of the lead was just as effective as connecting/disconnecting the service connector. I have heard that it can be done with a paperclip, but you could just as easily use the live and neutral cables out of 6 inches of twin+earth.

You may find that the SRS light doesn't go away. This may be because you haven't done the procedure quite right, or it may be because you have messed something else up with the SRS. There is a similar procedure for checking the error codes on the SRS - google is your friend if you decide to do this.

HTH, Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds