Active Speakers or Not?

Nissan Primera, 1994, Im having some major issues with the new stereo and speakers I've installed. I don't mind boring you guys with it, but that's best left to uk.rec.audio.car. If I ever get a reply.

But no, just a quick guage on public opinion really... Since there's more people here...

According to the door trim, and the rear speaker grills, the stock speakers are "Active Speakers".

Nissan say only the rears are active. But after dismantling half the rear of the car and having a poke around, I can't find any elusive amplifiers anywhere. I doubt whether this was an active setup.

Certainly, I've just plonked a new Clarion head unit in there, and it seems to be playing fine from all four speakers - I have heard on Active setups that sometimes the rear doesn't work. Well everything works.

Im just wondering if somethings a bit too loud because Im finding after

15 minutes, I keep getting cut outs, or drop outs, or skips, or momentary short blips of silence, or clipping, whatever you call it at intense bits, and it's really bugging me.

So Active Speakers or not? If so, where are the Amps?

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Dunno with the Nissan, but in the past, Volvo's with active sound systems, i.e. separate amps, are above the steering column above the drivers footwall. And in the Rolls Royce it is behind the main stereo unit 'Blaupunkt'

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Simon Dean decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Just out of interest, if is an imported Primera?

Some Jap spec Primeras had an active noise cancelling system using the speakers and an amp to make the car sound quieter. Developed by Lotus I think.

I don't know of any UK spec ones to have such gizmos.

I dunno.

Reply to
Pete M

Hrm. Interesting thought. I don't know if it is a Jap import.

Noise cancelling? Road noise, or radio noise? Seems like it could be either with my new speakers and head unit.

It's features don't correlate much with the Haynes book of lies (I love that term), so I can't be sure... But it seems to have many "Mark 3" gizmo's but it's only a Mark 2 (ie later model first shape). Its an SGX, has the auto box, sports/snow switch, everything completely electric.

I had heard that the front ones came off the head... How does that make them Active? While the rear speaker Amp's are directly below the speakers and are little silver boxes. Well, I must say, I can't find anything at all.

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Simon Dean decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Road noise, strangely enough. Something to do with speakers producing certain frequencies and those frequencies cancelling out booms from exhaust, road noise etc.

Lotus initially developed it, at one point they had a 1.0 Citroen AX fitted with the system and programmed it to cancel out certain engine noises to make it sound like different engine types. They then gave it to a bunch of journalists while it was set to make the lil 1.0 sound like a Porsche 928.. Allegedly the poor little thing was taken to obscene revs by everyone who drove it because it sounded so good.

Don't know what happened to the system after that, but ISTR some Jap Primeras and a few weird Hondas having the first "production" set ups.

Reply to
Pete M

In message , Pete M writes

I think I probably read the same article as you. I remember it mentioning that the main target for these things was propeller engined aircraft.

I think these use the same technology:

Steve Walker

Well I am amazed at how quiet my car sounds inside. Ok, its seen better days, but outside the car it's as noisy as hell!

But I think thats more to do with how loud I turn the radio up. You never know though...

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean