SS Exhaust.

The heatshield on the nearside downpipes on the SDI had come adrift and was rattling. It's a Rimmer Bros SS sports system. It appeared to have pulled a spot weld out and the exhaust was blowing, so an MOT (due shortly) fail. Rimmers said it has a lifetime warranty, but wanted me to send it back for either repair or replacement. Unfortunately, my old bones ain't up to crawling around underneath the car on the street in this weather. KwikFit etc couldn't help. So I was considering just cutting my losses and buying a new down pipe from Rimmer and getting it fitted at an exhaust place.

Having nothing better to do I looked up Yellow Pages and there was a SS maker listed - Top Gear in Queenstown Rd Battersea. So I phoned up and they said, yes, they could fix it. Went straight there. Seemed to be a one man band - a charming young Australian (or New Zealander) who said he'd fix it for 50 quid there and then. Which he did, taking it off and TIG welding it. He also spent some time getting a better alignment between the flange and manifold - and redid all the other joints which he found to be leaking slightly. And removed the tailpipe and re-polished it. And replaced all the 'O' ring hangers. So near as dammit removed it all and started again. Two hours work for 50 quid. ;-) They can fabricate any exhaust in SS actually on the very well equipped premises. I was impressed. Most unusual for me. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

They've been there for donkeys years - although not under that name.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes - used to be the London SS Exhaust company or somesuch. Got a system for my P6 there years ago which was rubbish - it sounded like it was blowing all the time - too thin tube? And they didn't want to know. And it wasn't made on the premises.

This firm appears to have no connection other than the same premises.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I got a special exhaust made for an LDV ambulance many years ago by a bunch in Egham who were superb. Made it and fitted it while I waited - about an hour. Whole new system in SS including downpipe for about £200 all in. That was a few years ago though.

Reply to
Guy King