Stainless Steel Exhaust V8

Dear LR Fans,

Can I renew my exhaust system with a Stainless Steel type? Are there things that I must know? I'd like to change it soon, think it's nescessary.....

It's a def-90 V8 '86 (LPG)

Marc

Reply to
Tja Mats

Both SS and Rimmer do "adequate" systems at the cheaper end of the market, with or without tubular manifolds. These can be a bit hit and miss when it comes to quality and when it comes to fitting them the tolerances seem to make Land Rover tolerances look good. ISTR seeing pictures of one system where the Y piece was 2 inches too short (for example). A Rimmer system I fitted to SWMBOs Range Rover had to have 3 different Y pieces as the first one was blocked (someone had forgotten to cut one of the pipes off so one blocked the other where they met - always try to use your new exhaust as a trumpet before you fit it, had I not done I'd have spent hours wondering why the engine wasn't running properly !) and the second was missing a bend. This turned a 1 day job into a 6 day job with the vehicle off the road while Rimmer sent out the replacement bits. It was good customer service, but a bit worrying, that they didn't sound surprised in either case but simply gave me a returns number and said they'd send a new part out...

The best "cheap" stainless system I have fitted was a Janspeed system with mild steel tubular manifolds and the rest was stainless steel. Not only did this fit well (and without taking a hammer to the manifold like I had to on the Rimmer system) but seemed to flow better than the Rimmer system giving a nicer exhaust note and better performance as far as I could tell. They now do a set of stainless tubular manifolds as well but I've not seen these and am led to believe they are not as good performance wise.

No doubt someone will be along in a minute or two with a nightmare story of fitting a Janspeed but that's afl for you :-)

RPI do the Janspeed one:

as do Janspeed themselves:
Rimmer Bros do the Rimmer one:
and the SS one is
I'd guess that any of them would ship to the Netherlands ?

HTH

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

considering the cheapness and ease of replacing standard Land Rover exhausts I decided some time ago stainless steel would not really be justified as it was in my limo, where the exhausts had to be hand made to fit the stretch.

Reply to
Larry