SS exhaust systems on RRC

Well, my cracked front manifolds have been replaced ubder warranty - thank you Mr Collins at Rimmer Brothers.

The question now arises as to what is getting soooo hot that it smells like melting rubber.

I wrapped the original manifolds in heatwrap at vast expense but didn't have the time to do it on the new manifolds. Rimmer said I don't need it and my spanner man says that he has seen and worked on many RRCs with Rimmer SS systems without the heat tape that have shown no stinky melting smells.

I have re-routed the starter and solenoid feeds away from the manifold but apart from that I'm at a loss.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
rjs

if i remember correctly you may need to just check the battery cable feeding the starter motor , as it runs very close to exhaust manifold , try and tie it back away from manifold.

i actually had mine burn out the wiring loom in this area once due to wires touching manifold and melting and then shorting out .

you may have old stickers that were taped to exhaust which are making the smell, or it may be oil .

i allways liked the rimmer bros stainless system but i had 3 cracked centre boxes exchanged on mine before i sold it for a 300tdi landy .

so long as i had receipt for proof , rimmer bros allways sent me new centre box asap free of charge . . i cant fault theyre service thats for sure .

you may have some sealant residue on manifold that needs to burn off before the smell goes away , or it could be plastic that was coating the stainless plate they used to make the 4-1 collector on ends of manifold

Reply to
m0bcg

Way tooooo close. Now completely re-routed forward from s/motor through hole in o/s engine mount and direct to +ve on battery. Feed from alternator re-reouted direct to +ve on battery as well. Solenoid feed routed along starter feed to meet o/s wing at battery and thence up to multi-plug at bulkhead. Very neat.

However, the wiring with the previous manifolds was as installed except that the +ve feed to the starter motor was taken from the bulkhead +ve stud via a short strap that actually passed between the pipes for cylinders 8 and 6 with no ill effects

The smell is more melting rubber than anything else.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
rjs