Spark Plug Contamination

Hello group,

I have a Ford Escort 16v 1.6 Zetec, year 1999. There's 65000 miles on the clock, not much going by the year of registration. It's been regularly serviced since I owned it for the past two years, but before that the service history is suspicious to say the least.

Today I've got a few OEM motorcraft parts as replacement, already done the large and PCV air-filter (which was very dirty, but aren't they all), the fuel filter (can't do, not got correct size of ratchet for backet yet), HT leads and spark plugs. Also going to replace the PCV valve as from what I can tell it seems a bit flimsy after the last 7 years of use. I've only owned the car for just under two years, so figured that the fuel filter and air filter would need doing at least.

Here's the main reason for posting: number 1 (far left when facing engine) spark plug has what appears to be a miniscule amount of oil just surrounding the top of the thread - I haven't removed the plug yet, as I wanted to clean it up first, but will wait until it stops raining so heavily outside. Plugs

2, 3 and 4 appear fine, although plug 3 had a bit of rust around where it screws it, but having not attempted to remove any of the plugs yet, I don't assume that's much to worry about.

I've used a search engine, but felt as the car has 5w30 oil, and I don't drive above 3000rpm generally, why spark plug 1 in particular had a bit of oil on top where it screws in? The car has been jerky recently in low gears when the foot is removed from the accelerator, and I've adjusted the clutch to account for the high biting point- there's no slipping clutch though, so I decided to renew consumables anyway to see if this affects the slight jerkiness in low gears when slowing down by removing foot from accelerator.

I don't know when the spark plugs were last changed, but have used a couple of local garages in the past 2 years, both seemingly competant enough, who said the car had been well cared for judging by their checks and as a result just had standard servicing items done at service. Having got a haynes I realise other items need doing, so am getting round to that now.

Thanks for any input people.

Reply to
Rajko

The service interval for plugs is 40,000 miles. Renew the HT leads with genuine Ford ones at the same time. Shockingly expensive (around £40!), but important.

When you've done this, and the other items you've mentioned, post back if there are any further performance problems.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Done HT leads ford OEM today, will do spark plugs tomorrow when can find correct ratchet adapter. I was aware these items were seen as common 'issues' shall we say on this model - will post back after they're changed then, probably nothing to worry about hopefully.

Reply to
Rajko

As Chris has already said these engines have HT leads which are considered a consumable item, Ford slightly over designed the coil pack and it basically very powerful, and the factory 1.3mm plug gap makes the leads work very hard.

Use genuine proper OEM Motorcraft leads, and plugs, but re-gap them to

1.0mm. Make sure the coil pack surface is spotlessly clean and that you install the new leads properly- they require quite alot of pressure to 'snap' into place.

Once you have changed the oil with the proper 5w-30 and cleaned the throttle body and ISCV valve, be sure to give the car a good hard run once warmed up well over 3000rpm reasonably regulalry as valve stick and valve step deposits are also likely which can cause valve stick and all manner of low speed running problems. (though alot less prone to it than the earlier silver top Zetec-E's)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..