Airbag light - mot fail?

My airbag light is on and the car's MOT is due in 3 weeks. Is it a fail?

Reply to
diy-newby

Thanks

Reply to
diy-newby

definitely not.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yet.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I'd be more worried about the fact the airbag obviously has an issue, not hoping the chance is to do with the circuitory leading to it instead of the actual unit. Airbags can actually be quite expensive, it may be best to remove the actual airbag if you're not willing to get the problem sorted either yourself or by an expert. I say an expert, I do of course mean a 'garage', the two don't go hand in hang.

Reply to
Tyr

As others have advised, not an MOT fail.

What car is it? I know that Ford use the airbag light to also warn of failure of the seatbelt pretensioners. If this is the case, the LED for the immobiliser will flash a code when turning the ignition on to tell you what the problem is.

Frequent cause is too vigorous use of the Hoover, breaking the connection under the seat!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

A Fiat Punto (2003).

No chance of that being the cause!!!

Reply to
diy-newby

Fiats seem to quite prone to this sort of thing - I't's 'usually' the connector under the seat which has a bad connection - pushing it together again can clear it but may require a reset from a diagnostic computer .... ?

Graham

Reply to
Graham2

Chris Whelan (Chris Whelan ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

...or just regular fore-aft movement of the seat disturbing or fracturing the belt pretensioner wiring.

Reply to
Adrian

Will check the wiring under the seat. Is the reset a DIY procedure? Could I disconnect the battery for 30 mins or so? Would that reset the airbag light if the under seat wiring was at fault.

Reply to
diy-newby

Not usually, but it depends on your car.

Reply to
adder1969

It's a 2003 (53 Reg) Fiat Punto 1.2 8v.

I used to have a VW golf and used vag-com quite alot in these type of circumstances.

Reply to
diy-newby