Steering rack won't fit on

I've an MGBGT I have changed the steering rack, it spline slots into th

knuckle joint ok and on one side of the cross member it fits ok, howeve the other side of the cross member it is far away from where it needs t be. I've tried hitting it but it doesn't budge, the rack doesn't loo bent - any ideas?

-- canveystveve

Reply to
canveystveve

Wrong rack?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

In what way is it "far away"?

Do you mean that the bolt holes or collar or whatever it's got are the wrong spacing, or it won't sit down to the crossmember?

Have you tightened one side up before getting the bolts in the other side?

Have you tried turning the steering wheel to help line it up?

Have you taken it off and checked it's the same as the original rack?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Have you put it on the wrong way around?

Reply to
adder1969

Thanks Sandy Nuts I take off and compare to the other rack. th spacings are ok but it won't sit on the crossmemeber

-- canveystveve

Reply to
canveystveve

My brother had one and i seem to recall something about the rubber bumper models having spacers to jack everything up but I don't know if that's your problem. I still reckon you've got it R's about it.

Reply to
adder1969