Steering wheel locks

Can anyone recommend a steering wheel lock of good enough quality to put most theives off when they see it? It's for a Rover 416 si. Also, are those devices that join the handbrake to the gearstick any good? Thanks a lot. Garry

Reply to
garry parker

get a stoplock pro or a disklok

they are the only types that seem to be really well designed

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Disc locks are very good, if a little expensive. They cover the entire steering wheel. Those Autolock things that go between the hand brake and gear lever are not really any good as they can be removed in seconds. If you aint got a lot of cash though, the Autolock would put off an opportunist thief I suppose.

Al

-- In message , garry parker writes

Reply to
Al

If a thief wants _your_ car, they'll take it no matter what you put on it. Security devices such as steering wheel locks and 'Autolok' gear/brake locks work by being highly visible to the passing thief who would pass it up for the next car that's easier to take. I've heard a few people say 'you gotta get one that covers the steering wheel nut so they can't get 'em off that way', but I can't imagine a thief carrying a steering wheel around with him a la 'Gone In 60 Seconds'! Unless your 416 has something special and desirable about it, anything visible should do the job.

Reply to
Chewie

The Disclock one that covers your steering wheel. Once you've had some practise you can put it on/take it off in seconds, bit heavy to handle while sat in the car but you can't miss it.

All the rest of the stick ones are just a handle tool for the scum to break your steering lock with.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Ive used them all

1) Bog standard crrok lock. Result:- Knackered old escort nicked. Joy rider

2) Disklock and handbrake lock. Result:-Sever damage to centre console and steering wheel by oportunist thieve.

3) No HT lead, removed relays (2 min job) car door left open. spare key in ignition (car was old mk1 escort). result: No car theft , no damage

Now have a rover 600 that has a factory alarm and I couldnt care less if it is stolen as I only need it to go shopping and th odd trip to inlaws.

Reply to
brian

Thanks to everybody for your replies. I've now bought a Disklok for 65 quid from Argos. I hope it'll deter joyriders. I'm not too worried about professional theives, as I can't imagine them having many seven year old Rovers on their shopping lists. Thanks again. Garry

Reply to
garry parker

the main problem with these older vehicles is that the newer stuff is so hard to steal with transponder keys etc, so your older rovers and fords etc are high on the kids lists

Reply to
C H

I know, last week I parked an old non-running sierra outside, there are numerous bits missing, two wheel nuts per wheel, good layer of dirt, four year old tax disk (so it is fairly obviously dead) and at 8 oclock at night, while I was at home two toerags got in it and attempted to start it by ripping off the ignition switch and joining the wires, it has an immobiliser so nothing happened at all and they went away. If there had been a visible deterrent like a disklock maybe they would have walked on to the next easier target. There was a flashing led that doesn't actually signify anything except the ignition is off, and an immobiliser that is not too obvious. Now it is annoying to me to now have to twist wires together to 'drive' it in on the starter. However, I now have bought a disklock for it and hopefully it will be left alone when I need to leave it out.

Disclock was 55 pounds at Costco.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Where are you supposed to put those huge things when you're driving? I bet most people put them behind the passenger seat but I don't fancy one flying around in an accident, so it would have to go in the boot every time. I just can't see myself using it every time I park, probably only for overnight parking. The relay removal idea is a good one but again only useful for overnight parking.

I reckon Mr. Bean had the right idea, highly visible padlocks on the doors!

Reply to
Steve B

"MrCheerful" mumbled:

Just for a moment I read that as you complaining that someone had stolen a good layer of dirt.

Reply to
Guy King

Behind your seat on the floor, glued a strip of velcro onto the back of it so it doesn't slide about. No one travels in the back of my car so no need to put it in the boot or have a mat in the back. ;-)

On the subject of breaking into cars it's not something I've ever tried but in the past two weeks chimps at work have locked their keys in a Metro and a Probe and with no experience I opened them both with a bent coathanger... ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

The only one that's any good, is the DiscLock that covers the steering wheel. Don't waste your money on anything else.

Bear in mind that these items are only a detterent - if a decent thief wants your car, he'll take it. Doesn't matter what security you have.

Also bear in mind that you have a Rover 416 - hardly a theft target !

Reply to
Nom