Steering wheel locks

Can anyone recommend a steering wheel lock of good enough quality to put most theives off when they see it? It's for a Rover 416 si. Also, are those devices that join the handbrake to the gearstick any good? Thanks a lot. Garry

Reply to
garry parker

Disc locks are very good, if a little expensive. They cover the entire steering wheel. Those Autolock things that go between the hand brake and gear lever are not really any good as they can be removed in seconds. If you aint got a lot of cash though, the Autolock would put off an opportunist thief I suppose.

Al

-- In message , garry parker writes

Reply to
Al

If a thief wants _your_ car, they'll take it no matter what you put on it. Security devices such as steering wheel locks and 'Autolok' gear/brake locks work by being highly visible to the passing thief who would pass it up for the next car that's easier to take. I've heard a few people say 'you gotta get one that covers the steering wheel nut so they can't get 'em off that way', but I can't imagine a thief carrying a steering wheel around with him a la 'Gone In 60 Seconds'! Unless your 416 has something special and desirable about it, anything visible should do the job.

Reply to
Chewie

The only one that's any good, is the DiscLock that covers the steering wheel. Don't waste your money on anything else.

Bear in mind that these items are only a detterent - if a decent thief wants your car, he'll take it. Doesn't matter what security you have.

Also bear in mind that you have a Rover 416 - hardly a theft target !

Reply to
Nom