Sticky BMW throttle.

1997 528i E39 Automatic.. Only noticeable when one tries to inch the car up a slope. Vitually impossible to slowly and progressively increase the engine revs. Gradually increase pedal pressure, and the pedal doesn't initially move. As pressure is increased, it jumps. Just a little, but enough to make very careful manouvering difficult. Haven't examined it yet. Just being lazy I know. But. I'm hoping it's a known problem with an easy cure. TIA. Mike.
Reply to
Mike G

No experience with that car, but is it fly by wire or does it still have a throttle cable?

Those symptoms match a corroded cable to a tee. Give it a good dose of oil then grease it, where the inner leaves the outer cable by the throttle body, then work it back and forth full travel a few times. Probably best done with the ignition off to avoid activating any anti- flooding or whatever.

Reply to
PCPaul

Cable. A web search suggests that on some BM's, the stickyness can be in the throttle pedal boxes. Dunno whether that applies to mine though.

I don't think the problem is due to corrosion, but it could be due to wear of the PTFE lining, if the cable has one. If so replacement of the cabe is the only practical cure. Looks like a fiddly job, so an easier fix would be nice.:-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G