Sticky goo on instrument panel - help!

Citroen, when bought had a sticker on the clear plastic covering the speedo, rev counter, fuel indicators etc. Peeled the sticker off and it left a mess, grrr. Tried, in order; Damp cloth Soapy cloth Talc, [dont laugh - works v well on some gluey residues, makes it flake and fall off] Windscreen wash - 30% alcohol stuff.

All this has accomplished is spreading the gooey mess. Now 30mph to 50 mph is just a blur. GRRR!

I need something that will dissolve/remove the glue but not the plastic. Any ideas?

Reply to
Sim G.

I'd try white spirit. Or preferably "Tim Free". It is a citrus based cleaner that I bought for removing the crap on a CPU and have found it cleans absolutely anything without destroying it.

Reply to
Howdy

That should have read "Tim clean" Most good component shops should stock it.

?stockcode=M002410

Howdy

WD40.

JB

Reply to
JB

Not in a blue tin then ;-)

Reply to
Taz

a touch of neat washing up liquid and a j cloth to take up the goo as you rub

Ad

Reply to
Mad Ad

The message from Sim G. contains these words:

It's not an alcohol soluble glue. Few are. You want a petroleum based solvent like lighter fluid, white spirit, paraffin, that sort of thing.

Reply to
Guy King

Sim G. ( snipped-for-privacy@request.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Take it back to the dealer and tell them to bloody get their sticker's mess off...?

Reply to
Adrian

Mr Sheen or similar spray furniture polish removes the sticky goo where price stickers have been fixed to plastic. Was the sticker a mileage disclaimer?

Reply to
Doctor D

Thanks for the suggestions all, esp JB, WD40 worked a treat :)

Reply to
Sim G.

Meths.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The message from Chris Bolus contains these words:

He said he tried 30% methanol already. Meths doesn't shift petroleum based glues.

Reply to
Guy King

Wow, it's made your car REALLY fast :-o. I'm gonna get some sticky stuff for my car ;-)

Isopropyl Alocohol - it's safe on plastics. I've used it on my computer's motherboard, got some sticky stuff off easily! It's probably around a fiver for a can.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Those baby wipes that have citrus in them.

Reply to
Conor

The message from Conor contains these words:

Hmm, lemonbums, my favourite.

Reply to
Guy King

They call em batter bits where I live.