»Strange metallic "clunk"

About 200 yards after driving off, a a strange metallic clunk can be heard. If parking for a short period and then starting off again, clunk will happen
sooner, but is never heard again on the journey. Any suggestions ? Sounds as if it is underneath the car but difficult to tell.
On Tue, 05 May 2015 13:18:02 +0000, Geoff wrote:

Give us even the vaguest hint as to what car...?

Side issue - but you'll also be much more highly regarded, and more likely to get help, around usenet groups if you figure out how to post to usenet, instead of to some crappy web forum that freeloads off usenet.
On Tue, 5 May 2015 17:45:53 +0000 (UTC)

I couldn't have put it better myself.
But that notwithstanding, it might be a parking brake shoe finally releasing. If the car has drum brakes, of course. Who knows?
--
Davey.

replying to Davey , Geoff wrote:

Thank you - and yes, should have said Ford Focus, 2009
It's the ABS selftest. Perfectly normal.
replying to Steven Langdale , Geoff wrote:

Thank you so much, that's stopped me worrying.
On Wed, 6 May 2015 12:15:52 -0700 (PDT), Steven Langdale
I've driven many vehicles with anti lock brakes and I've never heard any noises until the moment the modulator kicks in during a stop with reduced grip. Drive well within the limit of the grip available and the noise never appears.
What precisely is this ABS selftest doing and why is this so badly implemented there is a metallic clunk during normal operation?
On Fri, 08 May 2015 12:13:36 +0100 snipped-for-privacy@eatthisspam.com wrote:

A quick Search for "abs brakes self-test" turned up this: http://autorepair.about.com/od/glossary/a/def_ABS.htm
Scroll down, and there is a reference to the self test. I have no idea about the site or its reliability.
--
Davey.

I've also driven plenty, and it's only my focus that makes the noise. No idea why its so loud, but it is normal.
On 08/05/2015 20:11, Steven Langdale wrote:

Is that other Ford Focus don't make the noise? Or Other Fords don't make the noise? Or Other makes of car with other makes of ABS don't make a noise?
My 80's Nissan makes a whir as the motor runs up to prime the accumulators once it exceeds 19mph. At which point it would throw a warning if that failed. Other basic checks like solenoid continuity and sensor integrity are done at switch on.