Stubborn crankshaft pulley bolt - any tips?

threadlock would not be a bad thing, but I cannot spot any reference to it, and I have not used any on the several that I have done.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I have now! :-)

I finished the job this morning and all went well.

When torquing up the crank bolt to 40Nm + 90deg I was curious as to how tig ht it was going during the angle tightening so I continued to use the torqu e wrench after the initial 40Nm and it max'd out at 200 Nm / 150 lbft at ab out 45 degrees. Switching to the 2' breaker bar finished it off nicely.

All in all it was a nice introduction to cambelt changes for me and there w ere enough hurdles to give me the confidence to do more now!

Thanks everyone for the help, particularly MrCheerful who stayed for the du ration!

One final question though; how many miles to you have to drive before you s top worrying if the bolts are going to loosen?! ;-)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

how long is the piece of string I saw last week?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I had an oil filter loosen and wind off 2 turns after 4K miles. Hitting the limiter hard in 2nd was probably a large part of the cause.

Angle tightened bolts don't come undone and don't need a re-check at a short interval after fitting. You have put a stretch in the bolt, pitch x angle / 360. If the bolt isn't replaced then they calculated the stretch to be elastic and the bolt returns to it's original length when undone. Usually there is "replace if length exceeds xxx.xx mm" in the workshop manual. Other angle tightened bolts are taken past yield and will have a permanent set, these should always be replaced.

Reply to
Peter Hill

This one was a 'must not reuse' bolt.

I must say, it did kind of feel 'different' to a normal bolt insofar that i t was very smooth to rotate, despite the high torque. Perhaps I was imagini ng it because I knew it was stretching, but then thinking about it if it is stretching more than a 'normal' bolt then it stands to reason there's a bi t more give.

Or perhaps that's a 2' breaker bar for you!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton