Stupid question

Wife has a Ford Focus Zetec on loan after some ****** ran into the back of her. Unfortunately with the muddy roads around here her windscreen washers are now empty. Despite looking in both footwells with a torch I'll be buggered if I can see how to open the bonnet. I'm really embarrassed about this!

Help someone! Where is the bonnet release?

Reply to
Ian

Use the key.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Behind the badge.

Reply to
Brimble

thats on the bonnet.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

On the grill

Reply to
Brimble

Under the bridge?

Reply to
Simon Dean

that lived in a shoe....

Reply to
SimonJ

Flip the badge round on the front grill (its hinged at one side) and you will see a keyhole. Insert key and turn one way till the bonnet clunks up, then lift the bonnet while turning key the other way.

Reply to
SimonJ

As posted below, dont worry I had the same problem after I bought one !!

Reply to
Staffbull

The message from "Ian" contains these words:

You are in a dark driveway. Before you is a locked bonnet....

Reply to
Guy King

Use key on bonnet.

Reply to
malc

There is an evil noise resembling chalk on blackboard. Before you lies a bonnet scratched to its fundament.

To the side, You notice a bottle of T-cut.

Will you ;

A)...

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

The message from Ian Dalziel contains these words:

shit in fuel tank? unblock cat? blame chavs?

Reply to
Guy King

Just inside the drivers door is an illustration of how to open the bonnet. Basically go to the front, swivel the ford badge and insert and turn the key, first one way then the other.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks everyone for the help. It doesn't help when you get supplied a car without a manual so I couldn't even RTFM. It also didn't help that the badge was covered in masses of road s**t as I'd already had a look at this as a means of getting the bonnet open but the dried mud made it quite stiff, dried mud does that to me ;)

Designer of this should be shot. Without manual or helpful people like yourselves I would had to be embarrassed by phoning the local dealer and looking a real prat......as opposed to posting here for the help and letting the world see what a prat I am!!!!

Once again thanks.

Regards, Ian

Reply to
Ian

I think it's a good idea. It gives (admittedly marginally) more security to the under bonnet area, removes the problem of a broken or seized bonnet release cable yet reduces manufacturing and assembly costs.

It is also not unique; I started driving in 1964, and my first car had a bonnet that locked with the ignition key...

The real prats in your unfortunate tale are the hire companies that remove handbooks from cars. As these always contain safety information, I wonder about the legal implications of doing this?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I had this just the other day on a nice, new Focus; rear light fuse popped in the middle of a rainstorm on the M6 and all that was in the glove box was an advert for the hire company and a pack of chewing gum...

And then I spent 20 minutes looking for a bonnet release catch ;)

Reply to
Richard Parkin

Is it the hire companies themselves who do this or light fingered customers?

Reply to
Hooch

Both :-) The hire companies attitude is that's why they have breakdown cover.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Well, IMHO it's still the hire company's fault.

They only need to include making sure the handbook is still there on the checklist they use when the car is returned to them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan