1.8 Zetec Focus

Friend has just bought an S reg 1.8 Zetec Focus 16v with 140K miles on the clock. Anything special to look at, any particular weaknesses?

Clutch pedal seems to start to bite very close to the top, is this normal? Other than that seems very quiet and smooth.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Corrosion, at that age, around the rear arches and on the tailgate.

There needs to be compelling evidence that the cambelt has been changed; interval is 100,000 miles or 10 years. If any doubt, get it done, together with the tensioner, idler roller and auxiliary drive belt.

No.

There are surprisingly good, especially when judged against what they replaced...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks Chris I'll pass on your suggestions.

One more question...

The handbrake is full on at three clicks, yet by my standards is pathetic. Is that normal?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I have often found that the rear cylinders are leaking on focuses. when clean and normal the handbrake is excellent.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks, I'll pass that on.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield
[...]

It's worth getting that checked, because 5 clicks for full application would be usual.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan