Suspension kits - good and bad

I'd be grateful for any advice/experiences of the kits which sell for around the £200 mark (Apex, G-Max, Bilstein Streetline, Jamex, etc, etc.). Are these any good or just a waste of money and I should save up twice as much and buy a Koni kit? Thanks for any help. Jerry.

Reply to
Jerry & Ce

Hello,

Playing about with suspension components will invalidate your current insurance policy unless you tell the company. Many boy racers lower cars and put big wheels on - they end up not being able to corner properly. It is dangerous to play about unless it is a direct replacement. I would say *waste of money*, original parts are just as good. It's the same as induction kits sucking hot air from around the engine are a crap idea. So are big noisy exhausts and blue LED washer jets. A car can't go any faster unless it has a bigger engine! You're better off getting replacement parts from the same car range, perhaps a sport model. Then it will handle better.

It might be cheaper to just buy a new car! Don't boy racer cars look silly, all those plastic bits glued over them and blue lights. Complete idiots. Look everyone, I've got a really slow 1litre engined car! Coming to a car park near you soon.

Reply to
Mike

I put a Streetline kit on my Golf and am impressed with it. Not too=20 harsh and the car feels safer.

HTH

--=20 Michael r1100rs(nearly there)|z400|pc50|mk2 16v| 'fot#125 | twa#5 | flo#10

Reply to
petrolcan

Hmmmmm. No.

While I too tire of seeing seemingly endless Kevins and Tariqs wearing IQ reducers with yet another Saxo, there is often a valid case for replacing a car's standard suspension with uprated suspension - subject to the provisos about doing it properly and informing your insurance company, so you can't just make the blanket statement, "original parts are just as good". If they were, why would anyone ever change them ?

Reply to
Neil Barker

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Bilstein are respectable and the Streetline kits should be OK as you get a complete set of dampers and springs for the car and don't lower it *too* much. It's something I would consider on replacing the dampers anyway, but I wouldn't replace perfectly good dampers and springs with these.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

Thanks for all the replies, guys. One thing that concerns me about the Bilstein Streetline kit (as opposed to the more expensive Sprintline), is that although the springs are uprated, the dampers are not, they are Bilstein 'Original' replacement dampers. I would have thought they'd have a hard time controlling springs of increased rate.

Reply to
Jerry & Ce